What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch Software V3.80 available

kai

A new software V3.80 for the G3X Touch is available.
I?m wondering why Garmin did not mention that update here on VAF?

Labor Day?

Its Labor Day here in the states...we even let the volunteers from Dynon take a day off! :)

From Garmin's site:

Changes made from version 3.70 to 3.80:
Add support for GPS 20A remote WAAS GPS receiver
Add support for GMC 307 mode control panel
Add support for GSU 25B ADAHRS
Add ability to set OBS navigation for internal GPS navigation source by touching CRS field on PFD
Add ability to change 'COM mutes ICS' and 'COM 3D audio' settings in normal mode
Add ability to access airport review page from COM frequency lookup page
Add ability to calibrate bus current inputs in millivolts per amp
Add ability to configure altitude alert volume level separately
Add Fuel Over Destination data bar field
Add Clear button to fuel flow calibration page fuel quantity value keyboards
Add configurable option to reset fuel-used value on first engine start or takeoff following a power cycle
Change ESP auto-LVL mode to be disarmed below 1500 feet AGL
Change fuel calc engine page Reset button to set only the fuel-used value to zero without changing fuel-remaining value
Improve map display when navigating to a user waypoint using external GPS navigation source
Improve RS-232 interface to GTS 8xx
Improve flight director operation for ILS approaches with unusual glideslope angles
Improve filtering of engine gauges
Improve landing gear warning alert logic
Improve NAV frequency tuning in systems with multiple radios or navigation sources
Improve flight log date display
Improve gauge precision for custom user analog voltage gauges
Improve layouts of fuel quantity reminder page and engine page fuel calculator tab
General improvements to system operation
Includes update to GDL39 software version 4.60
Includes update to GSA28 software version 3.00
Includes update to GSU25 software version 3.30
Includes GAD29 software version 2.20
Includes GEA24 software version 2.60
Includes GI260 software version 2.60
Includes GSU73 software version 3.40
Includes GTR20/200 software version 2.70

From Garmin's site:

Changes made from version 3.70 to 3.80:
Add support for GPS 20A remote WAAS GPS receiver
Add support for GMC 307 mode control panel
Add support for GSU 25B ADAHRS
Add ability to set OBS navigation for internal GPS navigation source by touching CRS field on PFD
Add ability to change 'COM mutes ICS' and 'COM 3D audio' settings in normal mode
Add ability to access airport review page from COM frequency lookup page
Add ability to calibrate bus current inputs in millivolts per amp
Add ability to configure altitude alert volume level separately
Add Fuel Over Destination data bar field
Add Clear button to fuel flow calibration page fuel quantity value keyboards
Add configurable option to reset fuel-used value on first engine start or takeoff following a power cycle
Change ESP auto-LVL mode to be disarmed below 1500 feet AGL
Change fuel calc engine page Reset button to set only the fuel-used value to zero without changing fuel-remaining value
Improve map display when navigating to a user waypoint using external GPS navigation source
Improve RS-232 interface to GTS 8xx
Improve flight director operation for ILS approaches with unusual glideslope angles
Improve filtering of engine gauges
Improve landing gear warning alert logic
Improve NAV frequency tuning in systems with multiple radios or navigation sources
Improve flight log date display
Improve gauge precision for custom user analog voltage gauges
Improve layouts of fuel quantity reminder page and engine page fuel calculator tab
Includes update to GDL39 software version 4.60
Includes update to GSA28 software version 3.00
Includes update to GSU25 software version 3.30
Includes GI260 software version 2.60

Thanks - I didn't know this was on the website.

Has anyone had issues with this upgrade?

I just went and installed mine on my dual screen G3X Touch system, and it basically bricked my primary screen.

It will boot, and work for 5-20 seconds then lock up and reboot :(

Any thoughts?

-Dan

I just went and installed mine on my dual screen G3X Touch system, and it basically bricked my primary screen.

Any thoughts?

-Dan

I was going to install tomorrow - think I'll hold off until I hear more about this issue.

Anyone know if the new firmware will allow you to enter current aircraft hours to then be able to use the G3X to track aircraft total time?

I installed 3.80 Saturday and flew the "distillery" trip the same day.

I have a single screen G3X Touch GDU460, GSU25, GMC305, GAD29, GTR20, GDL39, and GSA28 servos. no engine monitor so I can not talk to those settings.

Any thoughts?

-Dan

This sounds curious. I?m always very cautious with updates.
Did you talk to Garmin, what did they say?

I was hoping for more, specifically an adjustable threshold for CO guardian alerts and data logging of the CO readings since I have a nuisance Alarm on climb out

I don't see anything on that list worth upgrading to, I don't use the fuel cube/engine monitor nor the com module, I'll hold off

Il upgrade when the GTN software is finally released for com tuning

Last edited:
This sounds curious. I?m always very cautious with updates.
Did you talk to Garmin, what did they say?

I'm (very) actively working with Garmin to figure out root cause on this.

I "think" we have a likely cause figured out, but I'll wait and let Steve or one of the other Garmin guys comment, since they obviously have more info than I do.

I will say that since I reported the issue to them last night about 5:00 my time, we have exchanged probably half a dozen e-mails working to get this nailed down. As always the G3Xpert support is great!

-Dan

I'm (very) actively working with Garmin to figure out root cause on this.

I "think" we have a likely cause figured out, but I'll wait and let Steve or one of the other Garmin guys comment, since they obviously have more info than I do.

I will say that since I reported the issue to them last night about 5:00 my time, we have exchanged probably half a dozen e-mails working to get this nailed down. As always the G3Xpert support is great!

-Dan

That sounds great, yes the support is excellent.

@G3Xpert, please let us know the outcome and solution about that issue!

Thanks Dan for your help.

Fortunately software loading worked fine and there was never a "bricked" display, but Dan's PFD does become unstable when Bluetooth linked to the GDL39R. There is no issue with the MFD hardwire link to the GDL39R, so shutting down the PFD Bluetooth link got him going again.

We have the same setup in our RV-7A as Dan (GDL39R BT linked to PFD and hardwire linked to the MFD), and didn't see this issue in flight testing or on our internal benches.

We have been re-testing this configuration on our benches this morning, and still haven't been able to reproduce the issue, but we won't give up until we have answers!

-------Update----------------------
We discovered what was making Dan's system sick, made some adjustments, and he is back fully operational with no software changes.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Anyone know if the new firmware will allow you to enter current aircraft hours to then be able to use the G3X to track aircraft total time?

The existing software (3.7) will let you do this, and I can't imagine it would have been removed from 3.8. You can set the hobbs and engine time to meet your needs.

You do need to hit the menu button on the engine time config page to enable the "advanced features" which will allow the times to be edited.

The existing software (3.7) will let you do this, and I can't imagine it would have been removed from 3.8. You can set the hobbs and engine time to meet your needs.

You do need to hit the menu button on the engine time config page to enable the "advanced features" which will allow the times to be edited.

Thanks! I was misinformed that the times could not be reset. Honestly I never got around to looking it up in the manual, but now I know.

Thanks Dan for your help.

Fortunately software loading worked fine and there was never a "bricked" display, but Dan's PFD does become unstable when Bluetooth linked to the GDL39R. There is no issue with the MFD hardwire link to the GDL39R, so shutting down the PFD Bluetooth link got him going again.

We have the same setup in our RV-7A as Dan (GDL39R BT linked to PFD and hardwire linked to the MFD), and didn't see this issue in flight testing or on our internal benches.

We have been re-testing this configuration on our benches this morning, and still haven't been able to reproduce the issue, but we won't give up until we have answers!

-------Update----------------------
We discovered what was making Dan's system sick, made some adjustments, and he is back fully operational with no software changes.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, thanks for letting us know. I will update our plane this afternoon.

Does anyone know if this G3X update is required to use ForeFlight Connect? Ie flight plan transfer etc. with ForeFlight like it does with Garmin Pilot?

Ran out to the hangar this morning and gave the Foreflight to GTN650 transfer a try.

My first attempt failed with a locked waypoint? Not sure but I'm thinking it has something to do with my home field being a grass strip that isn't in the 650 database.

I redid it using the local Class D airport and it worked great. Showed up on the 650 that I had a flight plan to review. I pulled it up in the 650 and reviewed it, then I was able to activate it. It didn't send it across to the G3X, but I'm pretty sure that is because I was in my hangar and didn't have a GPS lock on the 650.

-Dan

I have not tried sending from GTN TO G3x Touch - only the other way.

With Garmin Pilot, it auto-generates a user defined waypoint when using my grass strip as a departure or destination. I believe it has to do with the fact it has no published approaches.

v3.90 arrived today. It fixed three things that broke for me in v3.80:

1) I again have in-cockpit weather. The last update had a bluetooth issue that disallowed weather from the GDL39 via bluetooth.

2) I again have access to my flight plan list from the PFD.

3) I am again able to load ForeFlight flight plans to and from the GDU 4.60.

I haven't seen any new problems, seems like bug fixes in this update.

Changes made from version 3.80 to 3.90:

Improve Bluetooth device authentication process
Improve engine page layout
Improve flight log interaction with engine timers when aircraft is on the ground
Improve user-defined manifold pressure gauge numeric data display
Allow quicker access to COM radio volume
Includes update to GI260 software version 2.70
Includes GDL39 software version 4.60
Includes GSA28 software version 3.00
Includes GSU25 software version 3.30

Changes made from version 3.80 to 3.90:

Improve Bluetooth device authentication process
Improve engine page layout
Improve flight log interaction with engine timers when aircraft is on the ground
Improve user-defined manifold pressure gauge numeric data display
Allow quicker access to COM radio volume
Includes update to GI260 software version 2.70
Includes GDL39 software version 4.60
Includes GSA28 software version 3.00
Includes GSU25 software version 3.30

Looks like the GI260 AOA indicator got a new software load - I wonder what that does? (the other device software versions did not change from previous loads.)

Back