What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Positioning System

Rick_A

Well Known Member
Would someone that has installed Vans FPS explain provide a little more detail about the actual components and installation. If I should decide to use the FPS, I assume installation is a lot easier while access is good. I know many people say it's not needed, but since manual flaps aren't an option I figure one touch is better than holding down a switch.

Wayne said:
Rick

I installed mine during the "finish kit" stage with no problems. Works great and I would put one in again if I built another. You can see more info at http://www.showplanes.com/index_800.htm

Wayne
C-GOYA 7"eh"
9.5 hours
Me too. I really like it and would do it again. I especially like being able flick the switch to bring the flaps up on a go around and not have to worry about shutting the flap motor off.

Have a look at this page, scroll about half way down:

http://rv8bldr.tripod.com/the_fuselage2.html

Cheers

Like it too!

I installed the FPS while installing the flap motor early on. I have tested it and like it. It's nice to be able to hit the switch for "10" then "20" then "40". Then on touch and go, or just when clearing them, you hit the switch once and the flaps retract hands off. Without it, I understand that you would have to hold the switch up until they cleared.

Mike

Go Around Settings

I'm somewhat new to RV-9A. The thread seems to say you just pull the flaps up all the way on a go-around. If you're low and slow, I've been taught to pull the flap up a bit, gain airspeed, pull flaps up some more.

Are you saying you just push in the throttle and rip the flaps all the way up?

Performance

I'm somewhat new to RV-9A. The thread seems to say you just pull the flaps up all the way on a go-around. If you're low and slow, I've been taught to pull the flap up a bit, gain airspeed, pull flaps up some more.

The RV's have more performance than you are used to. I did transition training with Mike Seager in Vans RV6 to get ready for my RV9.

http://www.vansairforce.net/transition_training.htm

That's correct. Most RV's will power right out of a behind-the-power-curve situation.

My RV-6 has been flying over 19-years with manual flaps and O-320. IF using all the (44-degrees on my -6) flaps on a go-around, add full power and retract flaps slowly as too fast changes pitch faster than I like. In other words, once full power is added, a positive rate of climb established, flaps can be retracted all the way but I recommend doing it one notch at a time as going from notch 4 of 44-degrees to notch 1 of 0-degrees makes a large pitch change where as doing it like one would be taught in a C-150, C-152, or C-172 creates a pitch change that is more desirable for the pilot. Yes the manual flaps will go from full to nothing or nothing to full in a little over a second. The electric flaps take a lot longer and will need someone with more RV electric flap flying time than I have to add comments of just hitting the up flaps switch after the positive rate of climb is established.

It is possible to do a go-around in my RV-6 with full power and full flaps but one must be careful not to exceed flap speed while staying at pattern altitude.

Last edited:
Rick my hanger partner has one he just removed from his RV 10. He is going to a VPX and no longer needs it. Get back to me if interested and I'll put you together.

Aircraft Extras FPS plus

I have installed one in my RV 7 and it was pretty easy to do.

The flap programming is simple but needs some focused reading and playing with to get it right, but once done it is sweet!

One touch and the flaps go to a preset setting and yes they will retract automatically on one upward swipe of the switch. Worked flawlessly.

I had a call from the people of FPS offering help one time when i was on here complaining of no help from the retail ACS on the product. FPS people called ME! now that is customer service above and beyond!

It will work with your trim as well once programmed but I am a little skeptical on that as i like the control of my trim switch but if programmed correctly it will add flap as requested and adjust the pitch accordingly.

I cant wait to fly it and I like the product alot. Good luck on your decision.

If you are buying new or installing new, you might also consider FPS Plus. I have it on my RV7A and has worked flawlessly. I love the fact that it trim the elevator based on flap position and all settings are based on your selection. One touch (2 seconds or more) will raise the flaps and set the trim as you have selected it. Neat for go-around situations.
http://www.aircraftextras.com/FPS-Plus.htm

Back