What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Two Folding Bikes in a 12?

croner15

Has anyone succesfully loaded two folding bikes in a 12 and have the photos to prove it?

It looks like the Brompton would be the only candidate to accomplish this feat. Weight should be ok since they are each around 25lbs, but that pesky fuel tank could be in the way and I'm told it needs to stay on board.

Segways

Don't know if you are looking for exercise or transportation???
But, I have two folding bikes for my 9A. It is tight.
As an alternative.... I have two of the "new" ninebot seway machines from Sam's Club. 25 lbs. About the same as a bike. MUCH easier to fit in the baggage area. Riding is easy to learn and they go for miles.
Just a thought....

Transportation would be the main idea and the segway sounds better than a unicycle. In the alternative, so maybe I could figure this out myself, does anyone have the dimensions for the portion of the 12 baggage area not dedicated to fuel?

Answer to your question is difficult... mid-fuslage brace limits the size of any single item that can be loaded into the back. Raw physical size of baggage compartment is secondary based on ability to load thru the available opening. Kinda like taking a grand piano down your basement steps.

You might want to look here http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=146001

Last edited:
We fitted two Bromptons in our 12. It is tight but they fit.
I have no photos to prove it as I borrowed them.
Nice bikes but very expensive.

I just took my mini-Segway on its first cross-country trip, and it fit perfectly crossways in the rear baggage compartment of the -8. Used it this morning running around the sidewalks of San Diego - very neat way to get Round an urban environment, and much easier to get in an elevator than a bicycle!

lowered the nerd psychology effect

Paul, I feel much less nerdy now. Thank you for reporting that another RV pilot is on the sidewalks of S.D. with a Ninebot.
I will be sure and wave when I see you go by.
BTW.... I went to target and bought a rolling duffle bag for the Segway. it is ripstop nylon, has straps and wheels. Also, an extendable handle like a rolling suitcase. It is easy to drag out of the baggage area and put in a taxi. Compression straps keep it all tidy.
Thanks again for being on the bleeding edge.

We fitted two Bromptons in our 12. It is tight but they fit.
I have no photos to prove it as I borrowed them.
Nice bikes but very expensive.

Ah, so it can be done! We were thinking about buying a couple of them anyways as they are useful in the urban jungle and can easily be tossed in the back of the 172 that I'm currently renting.

Currently leaning towards building the 12. It and the 14 are the only projects I feel comfortable handling as a first time builder who would rather do more assembly than engineering/fabrication...but a 14 can be nearly twice as expensive.

I figure anything from Vans will leave me never caring to fly a 150 or 172 again. Plus, there appears to be plenty of builder support in the DFW area.

Back