What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How take care of scratches in aluminum prior to paint

dave4754

Well Known Member
I want to paint my instrument panel and have made a couple of scratches on it while cutting out the holes.

Does anyone out there know how to smooth these over before painting?

I thought a touch of sandpaper and then some body filler and sand smooth, any thoughts?

Dave

If painting aluminum, it will need a lot more than a touch of sandpaper. I would start out with, a cross hatch pattern with 320 wet with a block, then scrub the heck out of it with a maron scotch brite, then clean with dawn and water, prime with a two part epoxy primer before it oxidizes, then wet block sand that with 320 then 400. I did this process to an entire airplane, and that's just the primer part :eek:

I want to paint my instrument panel and have made a couple of scratches on it while cutting out the holes.

Does anyone out there know how to smooth these over before painting?

I thought a touch of sandpaper and then some body filler and sand smooth, any thoughts?

Dave

That's what I did when a new panel I was making for my 170 slipped while clamped to the drill press table, and the hole saw cut a gouge adjacent to one of the holes. A little body putty and sandpaper/schotchbrite worked fine. The only downside was that I had to paint the panel instead of black anodize it as originally planned.

Back