- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
I originally estimated the all-in cost as somewhere between $7500-10,000 more than Van's to slow build a fuselage to quick build status. Now with more information from Synergy, I believe I will be on the low end of the estimate and possibly a bit below even that. This, of course includes housing, meals and rental car since I am not local.

I am considering it to be like a vacation - so I expect it will cost something. As I said before, I found it to be tremendous fun and the quality level was very high.
Yup, I can see that as being a vacation of sorts. Too bad about the travel, though.

You lost me on the costs though... I'm guessing you meant Synergy is 7.5k - 10k more than a quickbuild? The quickbuild fuse options from vans will costs 7.3k.

If not, and you're estimating to be closer to 7.5 than 10, you're doing it cheaper and faster than vans....and that's very tempting.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:18 PM

Default Sorry if I wasn't very clear

My best guestimate of the cost to do "my own" quick build from a slow build kit is $7500-10,000 more than the cost of a Van's quick build. So that would be in the $31K range versus the $24K cost of a QB kit from Van's.

It's not the low cost option.

Locust Grove, GA
DA20-A1 Katana "Princess Amelia"
RV-7A Phase 2
RV-10 under construction
Old 06-11-2016, 09:07 PM

The fuselage kit is not something that you want to blast through quickly. There are a lot of "systems", wiring, antennae placement, and interior finishing stuff you want to plan through very carefully.

I'll give you an example. A lot of my interior is powder coated in a textured/speckled finish that matches my instrument panel and is iron tough, easy to clean, and draws lots of compliments. The removable panels are easy to have done but two areas that I really wish I had done before assembly are the long outer faces of the center tunnel side panels and the rear cross brace that supports the rear seat backs. I could only paint those after assembly and it kills me that I didn't think to powdercoat them first.
RV-10 BPE, Dynon, Airflow systems A/C
First flight May 10, 2014

Last edited by woxofswa : 06-11-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxofswa View Post
The fuselage kit is not something that you want to blast through quickly. There are a lot of "systems", wiring, antennae placement, and interior finishing stuff you want to plan through very carefully.

I'll give you an example. A lot of my interior is powder coated in a textured/speckled finish that matches my instrument panel and is iron tough, easy to clean, and draws lots of compliments. The removable panels are easy to have done but two areas that I really wish I had done before assembly are the long outer faces of the center tunnel side panels and the rear cross brace that supports the rear seat backs. I could only paint those after assembly and it kills me that I didn't think to powdercoat them first.
Great points!! Thanks! Ya, one guy from New York I think had an RV10 body they were doing at SynergyAir. It had a textured finish that was painted, but it was kinda rough. What finish did you use for your interior? Why powder coat the tunnel sides?

I think I am going slow on body and fast on wings...everyone builder I know says go fast on wings.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
My best guestimate of the cost to do "my own" quick build from a slow build kit is $7500-10,000 more than the cost of a Van's quick build. So that would be in the $31K range versus the $24K cost of a QB kit from Van's.

It's not the low cost option.
Plus, Food, lodging, and rental car...I stayed downtown and a small motel...Was kinda cool!

Man, everything adds up...
Old 06-12-2016, 03:36 AM

Default Already included

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickRacer50 View Post
Plus, Food, lodging, and rental car...I stayed downtown and a small motel...Was kinda cool!

Man, everything adds up...
I included $150 per day living expenses for 20 days in my estimate. I stayed at a VRBO type rental - garage apartment out in the country. For me, it worked out great and already have the same place reserved for when I return.

Locust Grove, GA
RV-7A Phase 2
RV-10 under construction

Last edited by KatanaPilot : 06-12-2016 at 07:02 AM. Reason: text error
Old 06-12-2016, 03:38 AM

Default Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxofswa View Post

I appreciate the advice. We are building at Synergy only to QB completion. I will complete the rest once I get it back to Georgia. I have powdercoating equipment here and plan to use it extensively during the build.

Locust Grove, GA
RV-7A Phase 2
RV-10 under construction
Old 06-12-2016, 06:14 AM

As to the first question, can one build the fuselage alone. I skipped the wings and went directly to the fuselage. I have done all of the building alone excepting a small number of rivets in the center bottom. For those few (perhaps a total of 50 or so) I needed help bucking.
As for lifting, moving etc. I was able to do all of that myself with a little ingenuity. The move off the table to peg legs (supports attached to the spar ends with castors) and a rear support dolly was accomplished by suspending the fuselage on straps, moving the table, attaching the peg legs, and lowering to the floor. It took about an hour.
There was nothing in the build that was unusually difficult other than rivets in tough locations to buck/rivet. I made a number of small custom steel bucking bars (think steel suppliers scrap bin with a little grinding) to get into those difficult locations.

As for QB, I enjoy the process too much to let anyone else have the fun. I would rather spend the money on toys and am anyway somewhat cash limited in my build progress. If I opt for QB on anything it will be the wings, but unlikely.
I am very happy with my decision to skip the wings, as the fuselage completion has allowed me to work on much of the system installation that would otherwise have to wait.
RV Hotel
Dues paid 2018
Old 06-12-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leok View Post
As to the first question, can one build the fuselage alone. I skipped the wings and went directly to the fuselage. I have done all of the building alone excepting a small number of rivets in the center bottom. For those few (perhaps a total of 50 or so) I needed help bucking.
As for lifting, moving etc. I was able to do all of that myself with a little ingenuity. The move off the table to peg legs (supports attached to the spar ends with castors) and a rear support dolly was accomplished by suspending the fuselage on straps, moving the table, attaching the peg legs, and lowering to the floor. It took about an hour.
There was nothing in the build that was unusually difficult other than rivets in tough locations to buck/rivet. I made a number of small custom steel bucking bars (think steel suppliers scrap bin with a little grinding) to get into those difficult locations.

As for QB, I enjoy the process too much to let anyone else have the fun. I would rather spend the money on toys and am anyway somewhat cash limited in my build progress. If I opt for QB on anything it will be the wings, but unlikely.
I am very happy with my decision to skip the wings, as the fuselage completion has allowed me to work on much of the system installation that would otherwise have to wait.
Thanks! I think I am going the slow route now on the body!
Old 02-18-2018, 05:13 PM

Any updates on this decision? Synergy looks really interesting as a way to get started.