Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2018, 10:09 AM

Rounding sharp edges is a good idea. I placed my McMaster seals on the door itself as the directions indicate. I made sure the inner lip on the cabin frame was 1/8 inch wide and with the door closed that lip was within 1/8 inch of the closed door. Then the seal placed on the door lay between that inner cabin lip and the outer cabin wall. With the seal on the door, I never grabbed the seal getting into the plane or never bumped it with my feet stepping over the door threshold. Seal still robust after 130 hours and no wind or rain leaks.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspender View Post
Rounding sharp edges is a good idea. I placed my McMaster seals on the door itself as the directions indicate. I made sure the inner lip on the cabin frame was 1/8 inch wide and with the door closed that lip was within 1/8 inch of the closed door. Then the seal placed on the door lay between that inner cabin lip and the outer cabin wall. With the seal on the door, I never grabbed the seal getting into the plane or never bumped it with my feet stepping over the door threshold. Seal still robust after 130 hours and no wind or rain leaks.
That makes sense. Just to be clear, with the door closed does the outer edge come in contact with the cabin cover at all?

Plans show no gap at the door outer edge/cabin top interface and 0 to 1/16" gap at the inner lip. It sounds like it is best to have 1/8" gap at both places so the only contact is at the seal and pins. This will probably make more sense when I start trimming, just trying to visualize it.

Thanks again.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:42 PM

Default Local build

Dropped you a PM. Thought you might be interested in looking at a local build.
RV Hotel
Dues paid 2018
Old 02-18-2018, 11:53 AM

Does the outer edge come in contact with the cabin top?
The outer edge of my doors are shy of the adjacent cabin top by two credit card thicknesses before painting. That still left room for the door to shift in flight and not rub against the painted cabin top. Also the inner lip of the cabin top around the door comes to within 1/8" of the closed cabin door. In no areas did I want door rubbing on cabin top during flight.