What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel gage out

PMLviator

Flying along at 6500 and I get a red X on the Fuel Pressure Gauge, any ideas? Both electric pump and engine driven pump seem to be working fine. where should I start looking??? Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Check the fuel level sensor ground. There should be electrical continuity between the sensor mounting plate and the airframe.
Edit: Oops, I was thinking fuel level, not pressure. Sorry

Last edited:
Usually, such issues are the result of poor/corroded wiring connections -- wiggle and clean the associated wires/connectors. The fuel pressure sensor is located on the upper left forward side of the firewall.

ps -- If you haven't done so in a while it is a good idea to occasionally (at the annual Condition Inspection) flush out the fuel pressure sensor supply line -- particularly if you use mogas with ethanol.

Last edited:
Joe
I put in a dedicated wire for for ground to the fuel tank opening and it seems to be fine.

David
I will open the fuel sensor line and purge it. Am I looking for debris or what?

Thanks for the help guys.

Joe I just saw your Edit, I was wondering how the fuel level corresponds to the fuel pressure, but thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Regarding the fuel sensor line purge: I purge it mainly to flush out the old stale mogas w/ ethanol fuel that I regularly use. Over time, the ethanol separates from the mogas in the somewhat static/dead-end sensor line and creates a yucky watery stew (technical term). The purge only takes a couple of minutes to perform. I have never found any debris in the line.

Assuming your fuel pressure sensor has 3 wires, the red one should have 5 vdc. The black wire is ground.
Measure between the black and red wires to be sure that there is 5 volts.
The green wire is signal out and connects to AV-50000A firewall connector pin 16.
The signal comes out of the AV-50000A EFIS connector pin 8 and goes to SV-EMS-220 pin 8.
Check all of those connection to be sure that they are secure and that the D-Sub pins are fully inserted into their sockets.

As long as we're talking fuel sensors, I'll ask a question here....

I have dual screen Dynon D180 and D100. I just recently recalibrated my fuel quantity gage in the D180 per Dynon instructions. Now I notice that I no longer get a yellow box around the digital number of gallons remaining at 7, nor do I get a red box (steady or blinking) around the digital number of gallons remaining at 4. This used to work fine and I would also get warning on bottom of screen which needed acknowledgement.

I have contacted Dynon and they tell me that the unit they have on bench does exact same thing. They were a little surprised and don't have a solution.

Anyone else experiencing this?

As long as we're talking fuel sensors, I'll ask a question here....

I have dual screen Dynon D180 and D100. I just recently recalibrated my fuel quantity gage in the D180 per Dynon instructions. Now I notice that I no longer get a yellow box around the digital number of gallons remaining at 7, nor do I get a red box (steady or blinking) around the digital number of gallons remaining at 4. This used to work fine and I would also get warning on bottom of screen which needed acknowledgement.

I have contacted Dynon and they tell me that the unit they have on bench does exact same thing. They were a little surprised and don't have a solution.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Your picture is for the fuel lvl alarm settings, not the fuel remaining alarm. There should be another setting. Also, your fuel computer is showing 20 gallons remaining, so no alarm should be displayed. Have no idea why the lvl alarm is not working. However, I notice there is also no arm present on the dial.

Larry

Last edited:
Back