What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your FINISHED RV-8/8A!!!

Thanks James,
There is a lot of "you" in her. You coached me through some difficult times along the way. (DRE 244) Barb and Abby are ready to go. Barb's last RV flight was way back in the beginning when you and Ken visited Mt Pleasant.

My wife likes the name "Blubyu" as is Blue Bayou or Blew by you. I would like to see if she is fast enough to name her such...or the name might end up being "Crow Eater"

If your gonna go with that I would go with the whole "Blue Bayou" rather than "Blubyu". Blubyu is extremely cheesy. :O)

She'll be fast enough I'm sure.

Blue Thunder (helicopter show)

Baby Blue

Reciprocating Blue (instead of Jetblue)

Blue Fly or Bluefly

Blue Smoke

Blue You

Blue Angel (if you don't mind stealing from the Navy)

Blue Whale (not recommended if your wife is "plus sized")

otherwise you might have to change it to: Blue Balls:eek:

Blue moon

Blue Devil

Blue Dog (if you've been watching the news lately you know what that means)

ok, ok, I'm done now. You asked.

Love the list of names :)

Keep them coming. So far, "Patience" has struck a chord with the peeps at home.

We are also considering "Double Vision" due to the peculiar eye condition which I acquired four years ago. I see two images of whatever I am viewing...one stacked on top of the other.

Blue cheese

blue canoe

Shades of Blue

Blue eyes

Blue Diamond Phillips:D

Deep blue

Blue Sky

Blue Jersey

Blue York

Blue Hampshire

Blue Carolina

Blue Haven

Blue Heaven

Blue sky

NYPD Blue

Blue Velvet

Blue Pleather

Blue Panet

Blue Ribbon

Red White and BLUE

Blue Jean

Alright, alright, I'm done. For now.:D

Tinman's RV8

Having had the opportunity of seeing Don?s aircraft up close, I can testify that the workmanship is exquisite. The name that came to mind after seeing his airplane is:

?Poetry In Motion?

Congrats Don on a job well done. See you at the airdrome this weekend.

Regards,

N825RV flies for the first time!

No still pic's yet, but here is a nice U-tube video of the first take-off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGQQljZXmoU

Everything works. CHT's are 330-340. The Whirl Wind 200RV prop is smooooth. Airplane flies pretty close to perfectly straight. I will put a small wedge on the rudder for the next flight.

2 yrs, 3 months. Yippy!

Congrats!

Congratulations, Steve! I hope Phase 1 goes well, and I look forward to seeing you and N825RV sometime.

BTW, how do you concentrate on flying the pattern with such beautiful mountains next to the airport?

N - I - C - E !!!!!

All painted up, flying straight & smooth, no glitches, what more can a guy ask for? Well done Steve!!

Way to go Steve!

So when do we get pictures?

I like that video. Right after the prop warbles a bit it accelerates like mad.

Congratulations!

The first takeoff looked great! I hope to follow you later this year up in Santa Rosa.

I hope Steve doesn't mind, here's a couple of photos of N825RV that he sent me before he applied the N number:

P1010160b.JPG

P1010162b.JPG

P1010163b.JPG

Thanks, Bob K.

Now the fun begins

Steve it looks good....I see from the pics your Hangar now has room for the next required equipment. an old sleeper sofa, the beer fridge, and that old propane grill now becomes the new hangar charcoal grille. at least thats how I did it. You will now be spending quality time with the plane instead of work time. enjoy

Rich

My plane is shown earlier

in this thread,
But, a great photo.
We were out flying some formation acro today and my buddy was in the back seat of Kahuna's Super 8 going over the top and he snapped this photo.
Not retouched but sharpened a bit, other wise it what it looked like out the canopy..

3914168828_c481363a3d_b.jpg

Wish I would have thought of that

It's a Kogen sun shade in the top of the canopy.
VAF hat would be a great idea though..

N747JG

Here is my RV-8, N747JG, first flight was July of 2008. BPA IO-360-X engine, Grand Rapids and Garmin panel. The picture was taken from the ground by Greg Hall, EAA Chapter 43, Denver, CO.

Jim Gray
Evergreen, CO
[email protected]

106lu7s.jpg

Last edited:
Todd's Canopy

Yup, the tinted canopy came from Todd, but I didn't use the rounded forward windscreen section. I came up with a custom windscreen to give it that fighter look. Luckily the tint color matched well.

Jim Gray
N747JG 150 hours

I didn't build it but I did make it mine.
I made quite a few changes in the cockpit from a new IFR panel, (four revisions), including dual axis auto pilot, deluxe throttle control, new stick control, hooker harness, and new leather seats, with side panels.
On the outside, the paint scheme was unusual but had a very good base coat. I didn't want to spend money on removing it, I tried a lot vinyl decals and striping before I finally gave up and had Glo Custom repaint it. Here are before and after pictures. I have put almost 170 hours on it in the last 18 months, and always looking for reasons to fly.

img8.jpg

kimbabyshower033.jpg

082.jpg

seats002.jpg

0054.jpg

Last edited:
Why 2 Grand Rapid's EIS???

Why are there 2 EIS systems? I guess for duplicity?

S S Anderson
RV 7A Flying
84 hours
Lafayette, La.

Why are there 2 EIS systems? I guess for duplicity?

S S Anderson
RV 7A Flying
84 hours
Lafayette, La.

Its one system with slave unit, one of the best parts of the upgrade. The picture shows what I have displayed on each. I can leave all the main engine gauges displayed on the upper and used the lower display for a lean page, back up fuel gauges, fuel flow, flight timer. The pages are split between the two units and so are the limits.

Here is my RV-8, N747JG, first flight was July of 2008. BPA IO-360-X engine, Grand Rapids and Garmin panel. The picture was taken from the ground by Greg Hall, EAA Chapter 43, Denver, CO.

Jim Gray
Evergreen, CO
[email protected]

106lu7s.jpg

Ya know, I saw your plane at the Rocky Mountain Metro airshow this past summer. Impeccable fit & finish! Very impressive. As a matter of fact, your plane and the -7 you were parked next to pretty much sealed he deal for me to go the EXP-AB route. Plannign to start a -9A this summer myself.
Thanks for showing up that day!

Looks Great

Great looking plane and I love the paint job.

It caught my eye because I just this afternoon I was admiring a plane with a very similar paint scheme but it had additional squadron markings.
I was thinking I like to do the scheme without the squadron markings. What I had in mind is pretty much your exact paint scheme.

Last edited:
Squadron markings

Rick,
I laid out several variations that tried to put in some kind of squadron marks.
Since this is not a recreation of an original scheme (but simply P51'ish) I never really came up with something that I liked.

I was concerned about that sea of silver on the fuselage and that it would look too empty. Actually the invasion stripes offset it just fine. It looks better in person.

Great looking plane and I love the paint job.

It caught my eye because I just this afternoon I was admiring a plane with a very similar paint scheme but it had additional squadron markings.
I was thinking I like to do the scheme without the squadron markings. What I had in mind is pretty much your exact paint scheme.

Stunning...

You won't believe how sweet she is in the air! After 55 hours in mine, I am still amazed at what a wonderful blend of attributes Van brought to the design table when he created the -8

Silver Paint

Looks good!

What brand and application of paint is the silver? I am in the process of deciding whether or not to go silver or gray for my P-51 scheme. We have had a couple of other planes in the area that needed small touch ups and the silver was hard to match.

Silver

I was concerned about my ability to spray the silver metallic initially. Turned out to be dead easy once I found the right combination of gun pressure and distance from the surface.

The silver is PPG DBC in GM's machine silver (a vette color from recent years).
Clear is PPG 2002.

I just could not bare to paint it gray (Yuch!) :D
The silver absolutely glows in the sunlight.
As far as touch up. We'll see. Hopefully there won't be much need.:D

just waiting for maiden!!!!!!!!

Hi folks,

My 8 is ready to fly just waiting for DGAC (Chilean FAA) athorization to fly. next weekeknd I will fly with Alex from RvTraining and I will be ready too.

Empty weight is 1113 lbs that include full alodine and corrosion resitant paint interior and exterior, fire extinguisher, headset but no wheel pant, both wheel pant weight 5,7 lbd.

Back