What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My Icom IC-A210 Locked up Today

I don't think you'd get that kind of service from Garmin and Garmin radios fail too.

That's partially true...Garmin only charges $200 (20% less) for a flat rate repair on their GTR comm radio when out of warranty...

We have not had good luck with those radios, so we have pretty much switched to the more powerful (and usually cheaper) Garmin GTR's - or Trig, or Dynon, or Becker.

I can tell you that the older ICOM's - the non ribbon cable radios - we're pretty bulletproof and fantastic radios for the price, but once they switched to that faceplate/ribbon cable design it quickly became apparent the reliability of that particular component/design made it prone to failure at a much higher rate than their competitors. While all boxes can/do fail, I can guarantee from experience that Dynon/Trig/Garmin/etc.. fail at a much lower rate.

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers and happy holidays,
Stein

I flew with the repaired Icom A210 today and it worked normally. I don't know how long it will last, but I'm back in business for now.

Snopercod

Is your radio still good, mine just had your fault today. Was trying to decide on repair or go new.

Snopercod

Is your radio still good, mine just had your fault today. Was trying to decide on repair or go new.
I take my positive report back. Mine just died today. All I get is a startup screen. Nuts!

Edit: I'm done with Icom. Two failures in six years is unacceptable. I just ordered a Garmin GTR-200B.

Last edited:
I take my positive report back. Mine just died today. All I get is a startup screen. Nuts!

Edit: I'm done with Icom. Two failures in six years is unacceptable. I just ordered a Garmin GTR-200B.
I replaced my bullet proof and super reliable IC-A200 (9yrs of service) with an IC-A210. Within 2yrs it died with the same exact problem you described and replacing the ribbon did not fix it. So, I put my IC-A200 back in and the IC-A210 is now on a shelf in the back of my hangar. That was 2yrs ago and the IC-A200 is still running perfectly.

So if anybody wants a non-working IC-A210, you can have mine.

:cool:

Last edited:
A210 tips

One trick I’ve done, remove the radio above the A210, then remove the A210 face and flip it and place it in the vacant rack above, allowing free hands to loosen the mounting and remove the unit from the tray without needing to disconnect the ribbon cable

Yeah, not saying that my A 210 has been trouble free. But I have removed the radio couple times without disconnecting the ribbon cable also . I use tape to hole the loose faceplate ( very gently) from above while releasing the bail , then re attach the faceplate, and slide the unit out of the tray. Ive done this about 4 time in the last 6 years. However the first time I went with the instructions and made that mistake. I also have a GTR 200 with harness in the cabinet for the next time that A 210 goes out .

Back