What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Attention UK/Europe Builders

gblwy

Well Known Member
To my knowledge there is one other wing-kit purchaser in addition to myself in the UK.

The LAA (Light Aircraft Association) oversees homebuilding in the UK, and approves suitable designs.

The status of the RV-12 kit will remain unknown in the UK until the LAA has had the opportunity to review a technical submission from Vans which, I understand, will not happen "before 2009". Both Vans and the LAA have issued cautions to intending purchasers.

The latest statement (11th August) from the LAA is:

"...at this stage, we do not recognise the LSA design standard in the UK. The design will have to be checked against a suitable alternative design code, probably CS-VLA. As there are likely to be areas where the RV-12 will not meet the requirements of CS-VLA, changes will need to be made to the basic design, but it is difficult to predict what these changes might be. The advice from LAA Engineering is, therefore, to not commence the build of any part of the kit until the design has been examined and any modifications to it are put in place."

Caveat emptor!

Back