What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Homeward Bound

ChiefPilot

Well Known Member
On the way home from Tracy MN last night at sunset, level at 9000'. Bases were at about 700' with 2 miles visibility but tops were only about 5000 and clear above.

I kept thinking about Steve51B describing altitudes in this range as "Indian Country", since that's where oil burners come down and find Apaches, Cherokees, Seminoles, Aztecs, Comanches, and lots of other Piper products named after native Americans. Last night, though, I think was the only one around under FL290 until I got close to the Minneapolis class B airspace.

I love the way the plexi distorted the sunset - it looks somewhat ethereal to me in this view. The fuzzy haze layer just on top of the clouds probably has something to with this this, too. Whatever the cause, I like the effect.

33192415114_e1aefff30d_b.jpg

Last edited:
I was homeward bound back in December from Tyler TX to Orlando FL. running from a setting sun. Overcast was 200' for about 500 miles along the whole SE Gulf coast.
Beautiful view.
1174i8j.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Back