What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight Log uploads

rongawer

Well Known Member
Ok, this may be common knowledge, but just in case I'm not the only person to have just discovered this...you can take your flight logs from the G3X on your SD card and upload them directly to fly.garmin.com and immediately have all of your engine data and flight data with a wonderful map and the ability to see just about all of your telemetry mapped over the flight.

I had read about others using Cirrusreports.com and tried it out myself, but I'm a total convert to the Fly.Garmin website. The catch is that you need a Garmin Pilot subscription. The added bonus is that these logs sync with my phone app and can be easily backed up too.

I couldn't find this procedure in the G3X Touch pilot guide, so I hope this helps someone. I even sent an email to Garmin support asking:

"Hi, I have Pilot installed on my iPhone and have it connected via Connext to my G3X PFD. I noted that there is an option in Pilot logging for “Collect Previous Flight Data Logs”, but I haven’t found any instruction on how this works. I was hoping that I could connect to the panel and the Pilot program would import my flight logs from the G3X, but either this isn’t setup right or that’s not the function. The question is really, “how do I get flight logs from the G3X imported to my Pilot app to include in my log book”​

Their response was:
The G3X does not transfer any previous Flight Data Logs through the Flight Stream 210 to Garmin Pilot. If you have an SD card in the G3X then it does save the Data Logs onto the SD card.​

Normally, Garmin support is wonderful, but I'm not sure they actually read my question based on their response with this one. As a plug for the G3Xpert folks, they were super responsive and helpful in resolving a servo problem I was having, so it must be a different group of folks.

The good news is that you can take any number of flight logs and just import them into the online logbook with a couple mouse clicks. It would just be nice if Garmin would provide more obvious instruction (in the Pilot Guide) on how to use what is a very nice feature.

Hello Ron,

Thanks for posting this. Since I posted about using Cirrus Reports in 2012, I have been meaning to mention that FlyGarmin has this capability now, and is also free to use.

You mentioned above that "The catch is that you need a Garmin Pilot subscription. ". Good news! This is not true. This feature can be used in combination with flights logged with Garmin Pilot, but using Garmin Pilot is not at all required.

All you have to do is log onto the same FlyGarmin.com page you use to update databases, and click on the Logbook tab.

From there you can upload detailed SD card flight log data (including engine data) to create a new Logbook entry and fill out any additional data you want kept with that flight. It will auto-populate many logbook entry fields based on data from your SD card log including flight duration.

Thanks,
Steve

Back