What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberglass Over Filler

RV10Pilot

Well Known Member
I am about to put 2 plys of fiberglass around the windows on my RV10. First step is to fill the void with flox and epoxy between the plexi window and fiberglass cabin top and doors. My question is do I glass over the flox immediately, wait till it greens, or wait till it fully cures.

I feel that if I do it immediately the flox will be too pliable and when I lay the glass down the flox will move and I will not get the glass down nice and flat. On the other hand it will be the strongest with a good chemical bond.

Waiting till it fully sets will allow me to sand everything smooth, but the glass will only be making a mechanical bond. I want a strong bond to minimize future cracking.

Currently leaning towards green, a good compromise between the two other options.

What do the experts say?

Larry
Still building after all these years.

This is not an unusual dilemma, some peel ply could avoid some sanding, or use slow hardener and let it set a bit before adding the glass layer. It will bond if still sticky.

Back