Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-08-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majuro15 View Post
I used Sikaflex but the same process as the SilPruf method requiring no fiberglass work. I'm extremely pleased with the result thus far. I haven't painted yet, but the install and finished bead that will go on after paint results in a very nice look in my opinion. The install was rediculously easy as well.
Hey Tim. Do you have a recommended source outlining the process you used?
RV10 - Empennage (Started March 2017)
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
2017 dues paid
Reserved:C-GRPY (GRumPY)
Old 03-09-2019, 07:07 AM

Randy, I used the exact same method as the SilPruf that's documented on the YouTube series, except I used Sikaflex instead of the SilPruf. The Sikaflex is not silicone based and therefor (in theory, according to the MFR) can be painted over if desired. I mainly used it because it's UV and you can get it in black. I also wasn't as paranoid about cleanup since even residue of it won't affect future painting.

The primer for it is a bit expensive, but still not terrible compared to the cost of the build.

I'm just not great at fiberglass work and I did not want any chance of paint cracking down the road.
N1017H Reserved
EAA #: 1106970
2019 VAF Dues Paid!
Old 03-09-2019, 09:02 AM

Thanks Tim. I just started watching this series yesterday. It is quite good so far. Iíll have to look into the benefits of Sikaflex as well.
2017 dues paid
Old 03-09-2019, 03:09 PM

Google search Glasair Sportsman window installation. You should come up with a five part instructional series someone did. Walks you through the process. Except for the windscreen the Sportsman has the same window joggle. With a little modification, it can also be utilized for the windscreen. I used Silprof. Others have used Sika. You end up with the same results. Silprof is silicon so it’s 100 percent UV and waterproof. You need to be carful not to get it on anything to be painted in the future or your paint may fish eye. Sika is not 100 percent UV proof and could break down over time, but the way we take care of our planes once built, probably will not make any difference. Watching the video is the best to do.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:24 PM

I am planning to do silpruf on mine so I hope you have a good experience with the final product. It'll be some time before I get that far in the build, so I expect to hear good news from you by then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
I did SilPruf, following a very professional tutorial on YouTube.

No regerts
Now I need a candy bar.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:26 PM

I used Sika on my -9A tip up. Lots of research and anxiety, but in the end it was a breeze. Couple of things to note - 1. Iím not flying yet, so... and 2. this stuff is messy. In my mind every bit as messy as pro seal. I didnít tape off enough area and made quite a mess.

Working time with Sikaflex was not an issue, and glad to have avoided drilling the canopy.

Lars
Finish Kit in work
2019 dues + gladly paid
Old 03-09-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I used Sikaflex but the same process as the SilPruf method requiring no fiberglass work. I'm extremely pleased with the result thus far. I haven't painted yet, but the install and finished bead that will go on after paint results in a very nice look in my opinion. The install was rediculously easy as well.
Tim,
What color of sikaflex did you use? Is there a certain type thatís a higher quality?Thanks for all the feedback everyone!
Elevators - In the Works!
Cabin Cover - Complete (wheewww!)
Dues Paid Through 2018
Old 03-09-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhip View Post
Tim,
What color of sikaflex did you use? Is there a certain type that’s a higher quality?Thanks for all the feedback everyone!
I am doing sika as well. Plan to do it next week, as I decided to leave the windows out as I wrap up my wiring this week. Windows are all cut and prepped. Way easier getting in and out of the seat 200 times without the windshield:-) The 295 UV is what you want. Only available in black. You need a specific activator and primer, but I don't have them handy, but will post tomorrow unless Tim beats me to it.

Larry
Old 03-10-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Randy, I used the exact same method as the SilPruf that's documented on the YouTube series, except I used Sikaflex instead of the SilPruf. The Sikaflex is not silicone based and therefor (in theory, according to the MFR) can be painted over if desired. I mainly used it because it's UV and you can get it in black. I also wasn't as paranoid about cleanup since even residue of it won't affect future painting.

The primer for it is a bit expensive, but still not terrible compared to the cost of the build.

I'm just not great at fiberglass work and I did not want any chance of paint cracking down the road.
I like this idea. Definitely more a fan of black window sealant than the grey-silver silpruf.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001001 View Post
I like this idea. Definitely more a fan of black window sealant than the grey-silver silpruf.
Silpruf comes in different colours including black.
2017 dues paid