Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-02-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorJ View Post
I wonder if something like that would work with infinity grips. I would probably have to custom make something.
It should work fine. The "grips" are about 1 5/8" diameter, but come with inserts to bring that down to 1" if desired. I have Tosten grips and they fit fine, plus the grip fingers can be bent some if needed as well.

- RV10, Build in progress.
- RV12, N975G, "The Commuter"
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
Not with the most expensive store bought option is going to get you excommunicated from the RV-10 community. ;-)
I have them on my RV-8 but my PVC and pool noodle contraptions will work fine with any RV including the -10 !
RV-8 N52VM : Dynon D-180, GTX327, SL40, Garmin 496 GPS, AP74 Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A2N, Nickel Coated Cylinders, 2 Slick mags (both impulse coupled), engine preheater, Hartzell Plane-Power alternator, Hartzell HC-C2YR-1BFP constant speed, blended airfoil

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:47 AM

A very effective gust lock that can be activated before you leave your seat for refuelling etc is to attach nice marine polyester 16 plait rope or equivalent to the back of the right pedal left side and back of left pedal right side, running to Harken 22mm single block pulleys attached at the firewall both sides, then out to Harkin Micro Camatic Cleats attached to both sides of the tunnel at an appropriate height and position. With the addition of a rope retainer at the Cleats, all it takes is to reach down both sides of the tunnel and a quick pull on both ropes to lock and safely secure the rudder. No chance of leaving the lock on cause as soon as you touch the pedals with your feet you know the rudder is locked, easily disengaged by a quick pull on each side. (of course this system must include enough slack to allow full rudder when not engaged, which is easy to achieve) For overnite parking etc this rudder lock can be used in conjunction with the usual Pedal, Stick lay on the seat, position/lock by pushing the front seat forward gust lock. The Harkin pulleys and cleats mentioned are well known good quality boating accessories. Cheers from Western Australia
Old 03-08-2019, 08:20 PM

Default Prototype Gust Lock

When I bought my RV-10 in 2011 there was a rudder gust lock that the original builder had constructed. It was a rod that attached to the rudder pedals and then to the opening where the control stick comes out from under the pilot’s seat. I thought that it worked so I used it whenever I parked the aircraft outside. It wasn’t until a windy day about six months ago that I did a walk around after installing this gust lock and I moved the rudder. It moved freely in both directions, this gust lock was a waste of time and totally ineffective so I decided to create my own prototype.

I started with two 3/8” pieces of plywood that I cut to 7”X18”. I used contact cement to cover the inside of the two wood pieces with thin pieces of rubberized material to protect the paint on the aircraft. In the center of the plywood I drilled a hole that would accommodate a ¼” threaded stainless steel rod. Around that hole I glued a stainless fender washer. Below the first hole where the threaded rod would go through, I drilled a 3/8” hole and inserted a wood dowel that stuck out about ½”; I did this on both pieces. This would allow the threaded 1/4” rod to go through the top of the rudder hinge opening and the wood dowel would go through the bottom half of that same opening preventing it from rotating. On each end of the threaded rod, I have a stainless steel wing nut. I painted the prototype in white and stenciled REMOVE in big red letters on both sides of the gust lock. I ordered a LONG “remove before flight “ banner and attached it to the gust lock.

Someone in an earlier post expressed concern about taking off with a gust lock of this type installed; I can assure you that you would never make it to the runway. Both of the rudder pedals are FROZEN in place and cannot be moved. This gust lock works like a champ and does not harm the surface of the aircraft. My aircraft is in a hanger 99.9999% of the time so it will be a long time before this prototype is ready for replacement. When I do replace it, I will build it to the same specifications EXCEPT I will use a plastic material of some sort from Tap Plastic for the body of the unit instead of plywood and use a plastic dowel for the indexing part.

Pictures available at shutter fly:https://qq0u.app.link/e/NaTBQ7zeUU
Old 03-09-2019, 07:33 AM

My concern with gust locks that attach externally to the control surfaces, is the damage that can be caused to the control surfaces by forgetting the gust locks are in place and moving the stick or the rudder pedals. My recommendation if you use external devices, is to install warning flags INSIDE the aircraft that are reminders to remove the gust locks.
WA0SYV
Aviation Partners, LLC
Old 03-09-2019, 08:26 AM

Default Ext gust lock

Another concern for a external gust lock is getting out and retrieving the gust lock to install while the 30kt gust is beating your rudder too death.
Garmin G900X
First Flight 2/14/2019
Old 03-09-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrogunner View Post
Another concern for a external gust lock is getting out and retrieving the gust lock to install while the 30kt gust is beating your rudder too death.
A couple of times in 30 knot winds, I've towed the plane from its parking spot and turned the nose into the wind before removing the external gust lock and climbing in. Both times, it was on pavement and I towed it no more than 20 or 30 feet to get clearance from other planes before nosing it into the wind.