- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-01-2019, 06:38 AM

wow, lots of awesome ideas. thanks everyone and keep it coming
Old 03-01-2019, 07:13 AM

Default gust lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot135pd View Post
Your invention takes care of the rudder then for the ailerons, what would be wrong with using something simple like this?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...p?recfer=14060
Hi Pilot 135pd,

nothing at all.....that would work just fine.....its similar to what i fabricated. works the same way.....i think it took me 15 minutes to build.....i will post pix this afternoon.

Still try to figure out how people are embedding the pix in this window.....

Ron
Old 03-01-2019, 08:25 AM

Bill,

I like how you made the gust lock, but i have to figure how to attach gust lock to control approach pedals. I'm thinking will have to attach to the side of pedals?

kenny
Old 03-01-2019, 08:35 AM

I love PVC ! I’ve made window awning frames for 12 windows on my rental properties, braces to keep doors open, a rudder gust lock for a Cessna 172, and rotor blade supports for my gyroplane. It’s easy to work with and light. I’m going to figure something out for my RV-8.
RV-8 N52VM : Dynon D-180, GTX327, SL40, Garmin 496 GPS, AP74 Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A2N, Nickel Coated Cylinders, 2 Slick mags (both impulse coupled), engine preheater, Hartzell Plane-Power alternator, Hartzell HC-C2YR-1BFP constant speed, blended airfoil

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.

Last edited by Pilot135pd : 03-01-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoleman-10 View Post
Hi Pilot 135pd,

nothing at all.....that would work just fine.....its similar to what i fabricated. works the same way.....i think it took me 15 minutes to build.....i will post pix this afternoon.

Still try to figure out how people are embedding the pix in this window.....

Ron
I think you have to have the pics online somewhere and then just place the link here and they show.

I have some of the aileron locks, like the link I posted, from previous aircraft. I like your setup and Iím looking into building a lock with PVC also. Just have to see what I have sitting around regarding material, might do both.
RV-8 N52VM : Dynon D-180, GTX327, SL40, Garmin 496 GPS, AP74 Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A2N, Nickel Coated Cylinders, 2 Slick mags (both impulse coupled), engine preheater, Hartzell Plane-Power alternator, Hartzell HC-C2YR-1BFP constant speed, blended airfoil

Old 03-01-2019, 10:33 AM

Default gust lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon900guy View Post
Bill,

I like how you made the gust lock, but i have to figure how to attach gust lock to control approach pedals. I'm thinking will have to attach to the side of pedals?

kenny
I thought about a pedal lock but because the -10 does not have push/pull tubes going back to the rudder the rudder will still slap around a bit and put stain on the control cables. If the rudder does not move the cables and the pedals will not move, but if you only block the pedals the rudder will still move and pull on the cables. I like to have my surfaces rigid so no play in the system will cause movement.

Ron
Old 03-01-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
... if you only block the pedals the rudder will still move and pull on the cables. I like to have my surfaces rigid so no play in the system will cause movement.

Ron
And thatís why Iím looking closely at your rudder lock too. It also gives me an excuse to use a metal brake machine Iíve been looking to buy for over 2 years and finally bought one last week !

Old 03-01-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I thought about a pedal lock but because the -10 does not have push/pull tubes going back to the rudder the rudder will still slap around a bit and put stain on the control cables.

Ron
Are you not concerned with the strain on these cables and all of the slapping around of the rudder while you are flying and only have your feet on the rudder pedals without your rudder based lock installeds? Am sorry, but don't understand your concerns here.

Larry
Old 03-01-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
Are you not concerned with the strain on these cables and all of the slapping around of the rudder while you are flying and only have your feet on the rudder pedals without your rudder based lock installeds? Am sorry, but don't understand your concerns here.

Larry
I don't think the windstream lets the rudder "slap around" while flying.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:37 AM

Default My gust lock solution

Rudder: I made a rectangle out of PVC piping (it's really more of a trapezoid, because it's wider at the front end and narrower at the rear, like the RV's tail). I added some padding, and I just slip it over the top of my rudder until it's snug. It weighs almost nothing, is easy to store, and seems pretty stout. The smaller PVC pipe works fine for this application.

Aileron and elevator: I use two Airgizmo Gust locks:

https://www.amazon.com/Airgizmo-AC2-.../dp/B00KEFJH28

I like them because they are small and lightweight, and quick to install and remove. The key is to hold the strap against the locking tab when you fold the locking tab over, so that it tensions the strap that much more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loawoIOYSbo

I could not get one to work on the rudder, though -- the geometry is wrong.