Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2018, 04:22 PM

I have installed the Plane Around 180 door latch on my RV-10. I have also installed the Van's magnetic proximity switches on each of the 4 door pins. These are wired in series on each side so that if either switch is not closed or a wire is broken, there will be a door open "alarm" indication. I have these wired into the door closed inputs on my G3X which will show as a Warning on the EFIS and light the Master Warning light.

To me, this seems to be a reasonable solution, as it improves the door latch, and also makes for a simple, integrated alarm should one of the door pins not be engaged. And Doors Closed will also be on my runup checklist.

RV-10 Finishing Kit & FWF in-progress
2019 VAF Dues Paid
Old 11-10-2018, 12:35 PM

Default PlaneAround latch

While this is being discussed, I want to reiterate for new builders who want to use the PA latch or/and want 180 degrees of travel on the pushrods, to cut the gear racks on the handle (from Vans) in half making two 5" pieces. The instructions have you cut them shorter and a lot of customers end up buying the 180 retro kit instead of the new 180 because they cut them per Vans instructions. The difference is the 5" racks are included on the retro kit. The gear racks are really expensive to purchase from my supplier. If anyone has questions on the doors not answered here feel free to call. 801-580-3737
Old 03-11-2019, 06:24 PM

Default Reed Switch Reliability

I'm working on the doors on our RV-10 this week along with another RV-10 builder at the same place in his build.

One of the questions being asked is the reliability of the Van's-provided magnetic reed switches. In other words, are they overly sensitive or do they work properly when installed per the manual?

We are both doing the Plane Around 180 latch, along with the Aerosport exterior handles.

I plane to wire the reed switches to the GEA/G3X, but want to make sure I wouldn't be better off using a micro switch.

Any comments from builders with flying RV-10's and the reed switches?

Locust Grove, GA
DA20-A1 "Princess Amelia" - gone home to Amelia Island
RV-7A Phase 2
RV-10 under construction
Old 03-11-2019, 09:32 PM

A friend crashed his ten and lost his life while trying to grab the passenger door that popped open right after take off. A tragic loss. He had a plane around latch and warning lights integrated in his Garmin panel. He was in a rush to fly off his “phase one” because of his work commitments. The door latch had been only partially thrown over. Plane around latch good to have, warning lights good to have, a check list with positive verification.....priceless!
Old 03-11-2019, 11:46 PM

Absolutely.

I have the stock set up and haven't fitted the centre latch (not required under our airworthiness rules). I have wired the door sensors into my Skyview.

I ALWAYS do my pre-TO checks from a checklist. This includes one item to check "Doors closed and Green" and another to check any outstanding Caution and Warning on the Skyview. Twice on my test flying, I found the aft latch was outside the frame and "Red" on the EFIS. After that, I now close the doors before start and have another check at that stage that doors are closed. I also board pax before I get into my seat and close their door from the outside.

Haven't had an issue since. But whatever system you choose and however many latches you put in, it is worthless unless you do the checks correctly.
Building Bearhawk Bravo - RV-18 not available
2019 Donation Made
Old 03-12-2019, 07:01 AM

I have G3X setup and did mine a bit different than the plans.

Instead of using the relays and sensors that Vans sends with the kit, I eliminated that by using 'normally open' sensors instead. Using 540-MP201702 proximity sensors I wired them similar to the plans, however I just grounded one end to nearby attachment bolts. Then I ran and chained all four wires to a single input which I installed into my GEA 24 as a discrete input.

If the doors are open the discrete input is getting a ground, which then has a 'doors open' in red on my panel. As I close the doors and latch them the magnets in the rod ends break that connection and in turn removes the ground. If all 4 grounds are removed then there's no alert and that only happens if the doors are shut and latched. Very simple.

Then of course doors checked is on my checklists before Taxi, as well as before take off.
http://operationrv10.blogspot.com/
Old 03-12-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorJ View Post
I have G3X setup and did mine a bit different than the plans.

Instead of using the relays and sensors that Vans sends with the kit, I eliminated that by using 'normally open' sensors instead. Using 540-MP201702 proximity sensors I wired them similar to the plans, however I just grounded one end to nearby attachment bolts. Then I ran and chained all four wires to a single input which I installed into my GEA 24 as a discrete input.

If the doors are open the discrete input is getting a ground, which then has a 'doors open' in red on my panel. As I close the doors and latch them the magnets in the rod ends break that connection and in turn removes the ground. If all 4 grounds are removed then there's no alert and that only happens if the doors are shut and latched. Very simple.

Then of course doors checked is on my checklists before Taxi, as well as before take off.
I am in the process of taking the relays out and using the annunciator inputs on my AFS 5500s. You can configure them NO or NC.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post

Any comments from builders with flying RV-10's and the reed switches?
Stock Vans system, flying since 2011, no problems, never has needed adjustment. But I always crane my head around and visually confirm both doors are pulled in, fore and aft; it’s a runup checklist item. Trust but verify.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:53 PM

Default In the spirit of "What I have"

I guess I have overkill..

I have the PA center cam 180 degree latch kit.

In addition I have a red idiot light front and center for each door. The circuit is normally closed, i.e lights on when the doors are open and the master is on, with front and rear limit switches (not magnetic) that the tip of the pins hit in the last 1/4" of travel opening both switches. The switches are wired so both switches have to be met for the light to go out. Door latch not fully closed, or one pin not in, light on. Nothin' fancy
RV Hotel, come by and visit if you're in town
Dues paid 2019
Old 03-15-2019, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by togaflyer View Post
A friend crashed his ten and lost his life while trying to grab the passenger door that popped open right after take off. A tragic loss. He had a plane around latch and warning lights integrated in his Garmin panel. He was in a rush to fly off his “phase one” because of his work commitments. The door latch had been only partially thrown over. Plane around latch good to have, warning lights good to have, a check list with positive verification.....priceless!
This has been discussed often and there are many opinions on it.
In general, if the door is shut it will stay shut.

1. Make sure the your door pins engage in the frame and use the Planearound system. I have the 90 deg system. If I were to build again the 180 deg kit from Planearond is the best to ensure a safe and engaged system. Mine is stock and it works great. I do think there was at least one door that came off with the latch closed that did not have totally engaged pins. Could have had other problems the construction of the door (ie. door was bending in flight)

2. Use the Van's kit to light up the dash or your screen if the latch is not engaged.

3. If the door opens just fly the plane. There have been reports of doors opening inflight at cruise speed and the pilot was able to reach up and close it.

It was very sad to lose the pilot mentioned due to a door opening..dang.

After 1300 hours of flying the -10, I verify the doors are closed each time but it is so easy to do a checklist and then get caught on a hot day waiting for clearance to takeoff and you open it to stay cool and might forget to close it all the way again. I suspect that this is what happens most of the time.

Most of the emotion on this subject comes from people who want the doors to be safe when open like a Cirrus, and I am not sure how safe they are?

Have fun out there! I love flying the -10!

RV-10 N104XP (1280 Hours)
RV-12 N321UT (Sold)