- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n82rb View Post
Thank you Mitchell for chiming in. Maybe a little more infowould put some of us more at ease. As I have said a few times, the wording has me worried. It uses some very wide open terms.
I think that's probably done on purpose given that Van's cannot predict delays and pricing.....they just can't know how things will shake out.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:43 PM

It might just knock the heck out of the resale value of the earlier models as well??
Old 11-10-2017, 02:06 PM

I doubt resale will be affected. Most parts can be made from scratch. I made a wing leading edge skin, rudder skin, stiffeners, tail tips, hinge brackets, instrument panel, half my canopy frame, glass canopy skirt and tail fairing from raw stock. I've made wing ribs from form blocks too. I screwed up some of my Vans parts and just made new ones from scrap. Anything you get from Vans has to be trimmed, adjusted and drilled to your airframe anyhow. Its usually cheaper and quicker than ordering Van's parts.
But RV8 3301 is in the works.
Jabiru J200 flying
Old 11-10-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larco View Post
It might just knock the heck out of the resale value of the earlier models as well??
It will for some, undoubtedly. The kind-of-ironic thing is that those will mostly be the same folks that couldn't install a new part (wing rib, for example) by themselves anyway.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieB View Post
I doubt resale will be affected. Most parts can be made from scratch. I made a wing leading edge skin, rudder skin, stiffeners, tail tips, hinge brackets, instrument panel, half my canopy frame, glass canopy skirt and tail fairing from raw stock. I've made wing ribs from form blocks too. I screwed up some of my Vans parts and just made new ones from scrap. Anything you get from Vans has to be trimmed, adjusted and drilled to your airframe anyhow. Its usually cheaper and quicker than ordering Van's parts.
Heck when I was building my RV3 some parts were, well, basic starting points. The long rivets in the wing spar were things to loose sleep over trying to drive them before all of the neat tools showed up, after I had mine done. That was the good part, instructions were almost none existant, you picked thru the plans hoping you didn't miss something.
If it were today I would have a completed aircraft due to the fabrication Van has done since my kit.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:08 PM

So The Mothership has released the updated prices for th RV-3...total has gone from $16,230 last year to $21,750. It isn't as bad as I had initially feared, but still a big chunk of change, with lead times listed as 2 months for all subkitw bar the empennage.

Anyone want to buy a low-time -9A? :-P

My Flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35521362@N06/

RV-9A 19-8519 - Finished on 10th February 2016 after 4 years, 9 months and 19 days! The 1020th RV-9 flying.

First flight 26th March 2016. Phase I done. Essential specs 145KTAS @ 2400RPM, 8000', 24.2LPH, Initial RoC 1800FPM.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:38 AM

Thats really not bad at all. Two month lead time is nothing, takes me longer than that to clean the work shop sometimes.... Well maybe thats a slight exagguraton but still not a long wait.

Alex
2017 Dues paid up
Old 01-07-2018, 02:46 AM

Default Yikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRviator View Post
So The Mothership has released the updated prices for th RV-3...total has gone from $16,230 last year to $21,750.

Wow, that's a 34 percent increase! For two grand more, you can have an RV-7 kit with all the extra work done for you.
RV-4 Plans only S/N 2938
Cessna 152
Elk Grove, CA
VAF #744 Exempt but paid in Feb anyway
Old 01-07-2018, 10:04 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arffguy View Post
Wow, that's a 34 percent increase! For two grand more, you can have an RV-7 kit with all the extra work done for you.
Ahh....but that's the thing. If you look at the completed aircraft, the kit price is only about a third - figure a third for the kit, and a third for avionics and other equipment as well. So the 34 percent increase in the kit price isn't anywhere near as significant.

This is what people don't think about when looking at RV-3's. They figure "half the seats, half the airplane, half the price....." Nope - kit price is overwhelmed by the rest of what you need to make an airplane. A single-seater isn't that much less expensive than a two-seater...which is why so many people go with two-seaters. More bang for the buck. Unless you really savor the handling and performance of the single seater, and are in a situation where you can justify it.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 01-07-2018, 11:23 AM

Default the love

we are all in this for our own reasons and will do what ever we(as individuals) will do and to do what we want, be it build or fly and basically follow our free will... it really is pointless to ponder THEIR move.. I will build on.