Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-10-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n82rb View Post
Thank you Mitchell for chiming in. Maybe a little more infowould put some of us more at ease. As I have said a few times, the wording has me worried. It uses some very wide open terms.
I think that's probably done on purpose given that Van's cannot predict delays and pricing.....they just can't know how things will shake out.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:43 PM

It might just knock the heck out of the resale value of the earlier models as well??
Old 11-10-2017, 02:06 PM

I doubt resale will be affected. Most parts can be made from scratch. I made a wing leading edge skin, rudder skin, stiffeners, tail tips, hinge brackets, instrument panel, half my canopy frame, glass canopy skirt and tail fairing from raw stock. I've made wing ribs from form blocks too. I screwed up some of my Vans parts and just made new ones from scrap. Anything you get from Vans has to be trimmed, adjusted and drilled to your airframe anyhow. Its usually cheaper and quicker than ordering Van's parts.
But RV8 3301 is in the works.
Jabiru J200 flying
Old 11-10-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larco View Post
It might just knock the heck out of the resale value of the earlier models as well??
It will for some, undoubtedly. The kind-of-ironic thing is that those will mostly be the same folks that couldn't install a new part (wing rib, for example) by themselves anyway.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieB View Post
I doubt resale will be affected. Most parts can be made from scratch. I made a wing leading edge skin, rudder skin, stiffeners, tail tips, hinge brackets, instrument panel, half my canopy frame, glass canopy skirt and tail fairing from raw stock. I've made wing ribs from form blocks too. I screwed up some of my Vans parts and just made new ones from scrap. Anything you get from Vans has to be trimmed, adjusted and drilled to your airframe anyhow. Its usually cheaper and quicker than ordering Van's parts.
Heck when I was building my RV3 some parts were, well, basic starting points. The long rivets in the wing spar were things to loose sleep over trying to drive them before all of the neat tools showed up, after I had mine done. That was the good part, instructions were almost none existant, you picked thru the plans hoping you didn't miss something.
If it were today I would have a completed aircraft due to the fabrication Van has done since my kit.