Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-09-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n82rb View Post
IIf I hit a bird and need a couple of wing ribs that are now 20 bucks and they go to 200 bucks and it takes two years to get them, it renders my plane un-repairable.
Bob burns
Your comment makes me think that it might be wise to buy a couple wing ribs, vertical stab and horizontal stab ribs now so that in case they were needed for repair or fabrication of more, we would have them.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n82rb View Post
first, I have the utmost respect for van and the people at vans aircraft. I don't want to start any bashing or anything along those lines. I am wondering what people think about the pricing and availability release.

I understand what they are up against with all the models of aircraft that they produce and that there are costs with servicing these models. there is fine line between profit line and customer service. changes must come as new models are introduced and older model sales slow or even stop ( as in the case of the 6)

what really concerns me is not knowing what "significantly" is. what has this decision done to the value of every 3, 4, and 6 out there? if parts become 1 to 2 years to get and significantly higher in price, I am afraid that the value of my aircraft just went down the sewer. what will parts availability do to insurance rates? expensive parts, long lead times usually leads to higher hull rates or even unavailability to get hull coverage.

I believe that vans did not come to this decision lightly, but I cant help but feel that they just threw everyone that helped them become as great a company they are under the bus.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB
Van's is a business, decisions are made in that context.

View it from that perspective and it makes sense.

They can not support last year's model forever any more that GM supports old classic cars they've produced and sold over the years.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...#83261 flying as of 6/16/2014
RV-3 ....fan

I'm in, dues paid 2017 This place is worth it!
Old 11-09-2017, 08:43 AM

Luckily for me my RV3 is almost done and I have all the parts already purchased.
In my opinion, most of the parts from VANs are the basic aluminum pieces that can be fabricated by just about anyone who can build a 3, 4 or 6. My three already has a few RV8 parts in it and Iím sure a lot of the current kit parts can be modified for the older kits.
The hard to make parts, like canopies, weldments and cowling are made by third party suppliers anyway and Iím pretty sure they would be happy to sell you one of their parts if VANs no longer makes them available.
At any rate, business is business and if it keeps VANs going Iím all for it.
You never know, I might want to build an RV16!
Old 11-09-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saville View Post
Your comment makes me think that it might be wise to buy a couple wing ribs, vertical stab and horizontal stab ribs now so that in case they were needed for repair or fabrication of more, we would have them.
I was thinking the same thing... Which means there's about to be a scarcity of partially-built -3, -4, and -6 kits, that people will be buying and stockpiling for the future, rather than finishing into flying aircraft.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
They can not support last year's model forever any more that GM supports old classic cars they've produced and sold over the years.
.. and GM sells many millions of cars per year
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Reserved: N196
Progress: Finishing Kit
Old 11-09-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
I was thinking the same thing... Which means there's about to be a scarcity of partially-built -3, -4, and -6 kits, that people will be buying and stockpiling for the future, rather than finishing into flying aircraft.
Ribs are formed at an outside vendor. I have seen the tooling. I would be surprised if Vans wouldn't allow you to contact them directly. It is a small outfit that will do one offs.
Regardless, you can fabricate a rib less lightening holes with a simple MDF form block. There are a few EAA videos on how to do it. You can cut and flange the lightening holes if you feel the need.
The plans show the rib profiles.
Although they fabricate them out of "O" or "W" (not sure) and then temper, there is no reason you can't form them directly out of T3 Sheet.
An MDF form should hold up for at least a few ribs if not more.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:06 AM
hall monitor

Me thinks we are seeing a bright line being drawn between aircraft assemblers and aircraft builders.......
Old 11-09-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
Me thinks we are seeing a bright line being drawn between aircraft assemblers and aircraft builders.......
And there's another line as well - between aircraft owners of EAB's who didn't build but will maintain and if necessary repair.

For many of those people, they don't have the full set of skills that assemblers or builders have. So they have no idea how to form a rib or cut the lightening holes but are willing to learn. For them, having one or two on hand is a tremendous help.

I own an -8 which is not part of the change in Van's business. Still, I think it might be very helpful to have a spare or two on hand.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:25 AM

Default Agree

I was thinking the same thing Sam. Profit margin for assemblers is obviously a lot higher.

But hey, it could be worse folks. My other plane was orphaned after only 5yrs by a flood. It didn't help that the surviving tooling was buried. After 50yrs, she's still flying.

One thing to consider is that when a company decides to vacate a market, it opens up an opportunity for others who may not need the profit margins nor have the overhead costs. In this case Vans isn't vacating, just increasing lead time and cost while reducing inventory. Sounds like a smart business decision to me.

Quote:

RV-3 Sold
RV-6a Sold
RV-9 Built & Flying
Twin Comanche Flying
RV-10 Thinking about it...
Old 11-09-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I reckon you nailed it!
2017 Dues paid up