VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #1  
Old 10-29-2017, 03:00 PM
schristo@mac.com's Avatar
schristo@mac.com schristo@mac.com is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 934
Default spinning in the Sun... with smoke

spinning in the Sun... with smoke


https://youtu.be/ojEPgHWhBv4
__________________
Stephen

RV7 powered by a lycoming thunderbolt IO-390
turning a whirlwind HRT prop

flying with more than 1,650 on the hobbs
Race 771
margarita!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-29-2017, 05:46 PM
wfinnell wfinnell is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: tucson, az
Posts: 93
Default Cool

Cool! Two thumbs up.
__________________
Bill Finnell
RV-8 Fuselage
Tucson AZ
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-29-2017, 11:28 PM
eddieseve eddieseve is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 581
Default

wow that was amazing, what height where you at when you started and at what height did you finish.

I notice that you have recovered within 3 seconds of applying opposite rudder

Cheers
__________________
Eddie Seve
Sydney Australia
First Flight 16th July 2012
RV-7 Phase 2, 30 Oct 2012
680 hrs July 2017
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-29-2017, 11:29 PM
eddieseve eddieseve is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 581
Default

Wow that was amazing, what height where you at when you started and at what height did you finish.

I notice that you have recovered within 3 seconds of applying opposite rudder

Cheers
__________________
Eddie Seve
Sydney Australia
First Flight 16th July 2012
RV-7 Phase 2, 30 Oct 2012
680 hrs July 2017
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-30-2017, 07:02 AM
BillL BillL is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Central IL
Posts: 3,992
Default And your conclusion?

Outstanding, the airflow over the emp is interesting!

So - I see you have a new rudder - the old 7, or 8, or latest 6 with .020 skin. Assuming you installed it for speed confidence, and this video is a field test of spin recovery, what is your conclusion of the comparison back to the tall/9 rudder recovery!!?!?!
__________________
Bill

W&B done
Doing paperwork.
Beginning G3X calibrations.

Last edited by BillL : 10-30-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-30-2017, 08:21 PM
schristo@mac.com's Avatar
schristo@mac.com schristo@mac.com is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 934
Default 1500 ft for from entry to level exit

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieseve View Post
Wow that was amazing, what height where you at when you started and at what height did you finish.

I notice that you have recovered within 3 seconds of applying opposite rudder

Cheers

5,000 ft entry... level exit at 3,500
__________________
Stephen

RV7 powered by a lycoming thunderbolt IO-390
turning a whirlwind HRT prop

flying with more than 1,650 on the hobbs
Race 771
margarita!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-30-2017, 08:39 PM
schristo@mac.com's Avatar
schristo@mac.com schristo@mac.com is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 934
Default I like the -8 rudder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Outstanding, the airflow over the emp is interesting!

So - I see you have a new rudder - the old 7, or 8, or latest 6 with .020 skin. Assuming you installed it for speed confidence, and this video is a field test of spin recovery, what is your conclusion of the comparison back to the tall/9 rudder recovery!!?!?!
My original -7 rudder had accumulated too many cracks at the stiffener ends to go another year with it at Reno... it had been on my list to test out a -8 rudder for potential speed advantage and better flutter resistance and I am glad that I did it.

The -8 has a thicker skin (.20 vs .16) and folded trailing edge.

Every aircraft and loading conditions when testing are different, and my spin testing comparison between the two rudders was not meticulous... for me, the two rudders are very similar in spins.

In general cruise flight, the larger 7/9 rudder resists movement and tends to hold track better. The -8 rudder will move with very light foot pressure.

Flying at maneuvering speeds the 7/9 rudder feels like it is pushing the airplane around with heavy pressure while the -8 rudder is much more fluid and coordinated. This is quite nice.

The 7/9 rudder is much nicer tracking on the ground with the tail in the air at less than flying speeds... there is significant resistance to movement and I could drive around with the tail in the air without much attention. With the -8 rudder you have to be far more attentive.

For me, the -8 rudder is a keeper.
__________________
Stephen

RV7 powered by a lycoming thunderbolt IO-390
turning a whirlwind HRT prop

flying with more than 1,650 on the hobbs
Race 771
margarita!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-30-2017, 09:13 PM
BillL BillL is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Central IL
Posts: 3,992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schristo@mac.com View Post
My original -7 rudder had accumulated too many cracks at the stiffener ends to go another year with it at Reno... it had been on my list to test out a -8 rudder for potential speed advantage and better flutter resistance and I am glad that I did it.

The -8 has a thicker skin (.20 vs .16) and folded trailing edge.

Every aircraft and loading conditions when testing are different, and my spin testing comparison between the two rudders was not meticulous... for me, the two rudders are very similar in spins.

In general cruise flight, the larger 7/9 rudder resists movement and tends to hold track better. The -8 rudder will move with very light foot pressure.

Flying at maneuvering speeds the 7/9 rudder feels like it is pushing the airplane around with heavy pressure while the -8 rudder is much more fluid and coordinated. This is quite nice.

The 7/9 rudder is much nicer tracking on the ground with the tail in the air at less than flying speeds... there is significant resistance to movement and I could drive around with the tail in the air without much attention. With the -8 rudder you have to be far more attentive.

For me, the -8 rudder is a keeper.
Thanks for an excellent summary, it takes out much of the uncertainty of a rudder change. My tall-7 will be on for first flight, but the -8 is standing by. Excellent to hear that your plane had little difference, I could have imagined the heavier engine up front might have revealed any difference.

Pausing that video right at the end where the stall, spin, and recovery track are visible is outstanding!
__________________
Bill

W&B done
Doing paperwork.
Beginning G3X calibrations.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-30-2017, 09:23 PM
schristo@mac.com's Avatar
schristo@mac.com schristo@mac.com is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 934
Default the smoke really held together nicely

The day was perfect for hanging smoke

__________________
Stephen

RV7 powered by a lycoming thunderbolt IO-390
turning a whirlwind HRT prop

flying with more than 1,650 on the hobbs
Race 771
margarita!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-31-2017, 09:09 AM
tfriendshuh tfriendshuh is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Duluth
Posts: 68
Default

very nice - thanks for sharing
__________________
tim
RV-8A N325RB IO360 CS
2017 VAF dues Paid
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:01 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.