VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-29-2017, 07:47 PM

Thumbs up Barrett Precision Engines

Two years ago almost to the day, my relationship with BPE got off to a rocky start.

I sent my engine to BPE because I discovered a crack in my very old case. I will not bore you with all the details, but I will say they were not at their best. Their was some communication problems, health problems, and other problems. After a lengthy delay of about 6 months I received the engine. I bought a new Superior case and 4 brand new Lycoming cylinders. I finally got the the engine installed just after Sun-n-Fun in 2016.

Then when I thought my problems were behind me, the problems with my engine began. Over the course of the year, I developed various oil leaks for different reasons that shouldn't have occurred. Finally, in March of this year after having my engine in service for almost a year, I developed a serious oil leak from the case parting line on the bottom, just forward of the sump that I could not correct.

I contacted Allen and Rhonda and both were surprised to hear about my leak. From the get go, they were eager to help me get it fixed. They were genuinely concerned. Right from the beginning Allen told me it would be covered under warranty, no questions asked. We both wanted to make sure it was indeed a case leak requiring removal of the engine before going down that road. I had done some trouble shooting already and Allen gave me some tips for other things to check. I got busy over the summer with some vacations, work, a couple of contests, and Oshkosh. I wasn't able to continue my trouble shooting until late August. Finally in September, we pulled the trigger and Allen said, "send it in."

Within a day, the shipping was arranged. During disassembly Allen discovered the exact location of the leak and apologized to me and said, "I'm sorry, this is totally our fault." The engine was repaired and sent back to me 10 days later! I felt my situation was their #1 priority and my satisfaction was of utmost importance to them. They both followed up with texts and emails.

It was a sincere pleasure to work with them this time. Everyone makes mistakes, but it's what a person or business does after mistakes are made that counts. In this case, they made it their personal responsibility to ensure my satisfaction and I appreciate it very much. I highly recommend BPE. Knowing they 100% stand behind their product should be all the reason one needs to choose BPE. Some of you may have seen the picture of my airplane on the banner at their OSH booth. I'm glad it's on there. I fully endorse BPE and I hope you see them for your future engine needs. I will, when the engine on my Bonanza is ready for overhaul.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:11 AM

So good to read this... and so glad I chose them for my engine, which should be ready the first week of January. It's always so rewarding to be able to do business with honorable people that will do what is right, no matter what.
RV-8 #83507 - empennage complete (except fiberglass)
QB wings & fuselage work continues
N657AR reserved
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
Dues paid for 2017... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?
Old 10-30-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatflieg View Post
So good to read this... and so glad I chose them for my engine, which should be ready the first week of January. It's always so rewarding to be able to do business with honorable people that will do what is right, no matter what.
Just tell Alan that if he delivers your engine personally, you'll take him finishing on Pontiac Lake. I'll willing to bet they don't have ice shanties in Oklahoma!
Old 10-30-2017, 06:44 PM

We OKIES really aren't bad people.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:06 PM

The best engine shop in the country, hands down.
Eagles Nest Mentor
Old 10-30-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
Just tell Alan that if he delivers your engine personally, you'll take him finishing on Pontiac Lake. I'll willing to bet they don't have ice shanties in Oklahoma!
Tempting... but I'm looking forward to watching the build and run-in in Tulsa and bringing it back in my own truck! It's about time that truck earned it's keep...
N657AR reserved
Builder websites:
Dues paid for 2017... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:27 AM

I was fortunate enough to be in Tulsa a few summers ago and able to walk through their facility. I have since ordered my engine and should be able to pick it up in a few weeks and it's always been a pleasure working with them.
Donated for 2017
Old 10-31-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorJ View Post
I was fortunate enough to be in Tulsa a few summers ago and able to walk through their facility. I have since ordered my engine and should be able to pick it up in a few weeks and it's always been a pleasure working with them.
When I walked into their office last fall and the first thing I saw was a photo of the Polen Special on the cubicle wall, I knew I was among friends!
N657AR reserved
Builder websites: