VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-07-2017, 08:22 PM

Default thoughts on vans pricing release

first, I have the utmost respect for van and the people at vans aircraft. I don't want to start any bashing or anything along those lines. I am wondering what people think about the pricing and availability release.

I understand what they are up against with all the models of aircraft that they produce and that there are costs with servicing these models. there is fine line between profit line and customer service. changes must come as new models are introduced and older model sales slow or even stop ( as in the case of the 6)

what really concerns me is not knowing what "significantly" is. what has this decision done to the value of every 3, 4, and 6 out there? if parts become 1 to 2 years to get and significantly higher in price, I am afraid that the value of my aircraft just went down the sewer. what will parts availability do to insurance rates? expensive parts, long lead times usually leads to higher hull rates or even unavailability to get hull coverage.

I believe that vans did not come to this decision lightly, but I cant help but feel that they just threw everyone that helped them become as great a company they are under the bus.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB
Old 11-07-2017, 09:00 PM

I think vans does not want any more 3ís or 4ís built and this is just their way of ending these kit sales without saying that they are being ended. Glad my 3 is just about ready to fly. I am sure it will be one of the last ever built
Old 11-07-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv3Dave View Post
I think vans does not want any more 3ís or 4ís built and this is just their way of ending these kit sales without saying that they are being ended. Glad my 3 is just about ready to fly. I am sure it will be one of the last ever built
if thats it fine, just stop selling the kits. but to tell 4200 builders that parts MAY be available with a 1 to 2 year lead time at an ELEVATED price is not good for 4200 of us.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB
Old 11-07-2017, 09:25 PM

And here I am just finishing off my HS stab on my 4. Rest of the kit ships in the next few days. Only thing that worries me now is if I make a mistake at anytime during my build and need to order a spare part, this could now take months and bring the project to a stand still. Oh well, build on
Old 11-07-2017, 10:24 PM

I think there is starting to be less and less air plane builders and more airplane assemblers. I consider my self an airplane assembler with my Rv 8, i think the kit is phenomenal, yet some people say they would never build an 8 because of the amount of work involved compared to the newer planes. Vans is a buisness and they are doing what makes sense for them.

Born to fly, forced to work
Old 11-07-2017, 10:40 PM

Default Parts to maintain the fleet

Most of the parts could be fabricated by anyone who put the effort into it. I wonder if the more difficult parts not fabbed at Vans could be contracted from the source vendor. Its not like the plans arent available..
Cm
Rocky Mountain Renegades
the mission... have fun.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:32 PM

Mmmm, yeah. Not sure what to make of this, and how it may impact my future plans.

Iíve been right on the edge of pulling the trigger on Vinceís new F1 empennage to begin a Rocket build. The thought is that you pair this with -4 wings (or maybe evo wings, but thereís not a firm commitment to put these back into production ). Also, Iím still not sure how many -4 parts might be needed in an F1 fuselage.

So, discontinuation of the -4 line might impact a Rocket build. Lots of variables to consider, but it does give pause on committing. Makes an -8 that much more attractive.
Feeding Doug and family in 2017
Old 11-08-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philb View Post
So, discontinuation of the -4 line might impact a Rocket build.
I honestly doubt that Vans management would lose much sleep over that.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n82rb View Post
first, I have the utmost respect for van and the people at vans aircraft. I don't want to start any bashing or anything along those lines. I am wondering what people think about the pricing and availability release.

I understand what they are up against with all the models of aircraft that they produce and that there are costs with servicing these models. there is fine line between profit line and customer service. changes must come as new models are introduced and older model sales slow or even stop ( as in the case of the 6)

what really concerns me is not knowing what "significantly" is. what has this decision done to the value of every 3, 4, and 6 out there? if parts become 1 to 2 years to get and significantly higher in price, I am afraid that the value of my aircraft just went down the sewer. what will parts availability do to insurance rates? expensive parts, long lead times usually leads to higher hull rates or even unavailability to get hull coverage.

I believe that vans did not come to this decision lightly, but I cant help but feel that they just threw everyone that helped them become as great a company they are under the bus.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB
Van's is a business, decisions are made in that context.

View it from that perspective and it makes sense.

They can not support last year's model forever any more that GM supports old classic cars they've produced and sold over the years.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...#83261 flying as of 6/16/2014
RV-3 ....fan

I'm in, dues paid 2017 This place is worth it!
Old 11-09-2017, 08:43 AM

Luckily for me my RV3 is almost done and I have all the parts already purchased.
In my opinion, most of the parts from VANs are the basic aluminum pieces that can be fabricated by just about anyone who can build a 3, 4 or 6. My three already has a few RV8 parts in it and Iím sure a lot of the current kit parts can be modified for the older kits.
The hard to make parts, like canopies, weldments and cowling are made by third party suppliers anyway and Iím pretty sure they would be happy to sell you one of their parts if VANs no longer makes them available.
At any rate, business is business and if it keeps VANs going Iím all for it.
You never know, I might want to build an RV16!