What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aft fuselage longeron nutplates...

kbalch

Well Known Member
I got my left-side top side skin clecoed on this afternoon and noticed that I'm missing a couple of nutplates on each side of the aft fuse.

Looking back at page 10-20, you can see that there's one nutplate not installed and another one (not visible on this drawing) forward of that. The forward-most nutplate underlies the aft corner of the top side skin.

When do those two nutplates (and their mates on the other side) get installed? The forward one has to happen prior to top side skin riveting, right?

OK, I think I figured it out. Both of those nutplates are for empennage fairing attachment and will be installed later in conjunction with the fairing.

Is that right?

OK, I think I figured it out. Both of those nutplates are for empennage fairing attachment and will be installed later in conjunction with the fairing.

Is that right?

Please see page 12-12, Step 4, Figure 2.

The nutplates are not installed prior to the F-01496 Empennage Fairing so as to accommodate match drilling as shown below and described further in this blog post. The two forwardmost silver, #40, clecos represent the nutplates of interest. If those nutplates were in place, you would be unable to properly match drill the fairing.

IMG_8144.JPG

Oh my gosh thank you! I need to keep telling myself that rarely does Van's miss something. I almost installed these two nut plates too early! The laser cut parts saga is just messing with my mind.

Thanks so much!

Back