What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-648 Tunnel Cover

BoilermakerRV

Well Known Member
Can one of you RV-6 drivers tell me if the F-648 tunnel cover comes pre-punched? I screwed up somewhere and the holes on my F-748 don't line up. Thought I might order an F-648 and match drill.

Thanks

Can one of you RV-6 drivers tell me if the F-648 tunnel cover comes pre-punched? I screwed up somewhere and the holes on my F-748 don't line up. Thought I might order an F-648 and match drill.

Thanks

No such part as a F-648 for the -6 models. The center tunell is a different configuration on the -6 models due to the spar and non-flat floor. The original -6 had a battery box support where the -7 heat distributor and fuel pump cover are.

The Same, but Different

ALUM SHEET F-648
AS3-025X4X23 1/2

Found this on "The List". Just assumed it was the same part. If it's flat with no pre-punched holes, it's nearly perfect as an F-748 replacement. Just need to bend a flange on the end and drill to match.

ALUM SHEET F-648
AS3-025X4X23 1/2

Found this on "The List". Just assumed it was the same part. If it's flat with no pre-punched holes, it's nearly perfect as an F-748 replacement. Just need to bend a flange on the end and drill to match.

If it's 4 inches wide per Vans labelling system, it won't be wide enough.

It should be 8 inches, minus the thickness of the two angles (1/8") wide, plus enough for 3/4 inch flanges.

F-648 is the strip that covers the narrow tunnel in the baggage area.

Was I referring to a differnt part of the "tunnel"?

If it's the baggage area tunnel, the RV-6 part has no flange and won't have any holes pre-punched.

If that's the part you want, why not pay $3.50 extra and buy a 2ft x 2 ft piece from Spruce, get it quicker and with lots left over for future "ooops". :)

Thanks

I was indeed referring to the baggage area tunnel cover. Turns out I had a sheet of .025 here for just such occasions. Problem solved.

Thanks again!

Back