What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone within a couple hours drive of Chattanooga with a Dynon HDX?

CubedRoot

Well Known Member
I am hoping there is someone within a few hours drive of Chattanooga that has an RV with a Dynon HDX system, or even a Dynon Skyview Touch system. I'd like to get your thoughts on the system, and maybe even "test drive" the panel.

Even better if its an RV-7 (since that's what I am building). I'd be happy to buy lunch/dinner or even pay (pro-rata of course, Mr. FAA reader... heh) for a quick flight to test drive the panel in flight.

The reason I ask is that I am building my wings now, and need to sort of decide on which autopilot servos and mounts to install in my wings. I have a Lifetime seattle avionics subscription, which includes Dynon Skyview updates, so I am really leaning towards Dynon as my panel. I'd just like to get behind one and see if the workflows are something I'd be happy with before I make the commitment.

Thanks!

The reason I ask is that I am building my wings now, and need to sort of decide on which autopilot servos and mounts to install in my wings.

Hi Lynn,

I wouldn't rush ANY avionics purchases this early into the build. Avionics change so much, you shouldn't start down a road to any particular avionics vendor until you absolutely must.

Installing the AP later on isn't a big deal. I did mine after a year of flying during my first annual conditional inspection. No biggie whatsoever.

Installation Link:
http://rvplane.com/?categoryid=10000&dayid=1056

It is absolutely not necessary to buy auto pilot servos now. I can install them in 15 minutes with the wing on a stand after it is all closed up on any RV, -7 or newer.

Stop by anytime

Lynn,

I have one installed in my RV-7 tip up. I'm on the edge of your 2 hour radius in Madison Alabama. The plane is still in my garage, so unfortunately, I can't bring it to you.

I agree, there is no need to rush. I held off on the servos until I made the avionics purchase. No more difficult now than before. I did leave the final wing skin unriveted to leave access for the servo and pitot tube.

Brian

It is absolutely not necessary to buy auto pilot servos now. I can install them in 15 minutes with the wing on a stand after it is all closed up on any RV, -7 or newer.

Bingo. You do not want to pick avionics until after the product introductions at Oshkosh the summer before your first flight...

It sounds like the consensus is that its OK to go ahead and finish the wings, leaving the aileron brackets unfastened and the bottom skin unriveted so that I can install which ever servos I end up going with right?

Back