What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

*** NOT ALL PNEUMATIC SQUEEZERS ARE ALIKE ***

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
Maybe we can make this a sticky as it would be tremendously helpful for new guys.

Most of us are new to the building process and a lot of these tools. One of the most useful tools is a Pneumatic Squeezer for clean dimpling and riveting.

When you first start out, just just kind of buy what you are told, such is the case with a Pneumatic Squeezer.

But, as a new guy, you probably have never used one so you don't really know how it's supposed to work.

We went through half of our empennage kit before realizing our Pneumatic Squeezer wasn't working as it should. You are supposed to have a good bit of control of the trigger.

The one we purchased, which was a Chinese copy of an American made unit, provided in one of the popular toolkits, just "slammed" shut as soon as you put any pressure on the trigger. Of course, this made riveting with it impossible, so we went back to the rivet gun.

Later, I watched a video that made me think that we were a) doing it wrong or b) had a bad Pneumatic Squeezer. I went back to the shop, did some testing, and then ordered a new unit.

The new unit arrived and wow what an amazing difference, full control over the squeezing process, everything was consistent and as it was supposed to be.

But how was I supposed to know that the Chinese knock-off wasn't working correctly? It was working, just no consistent trigger control, we simply didn't know any better and it lead to so many missed opportunities to use the squeezer.

For the new guys, squeezing rivets can give you a much nicer finished product than hammering on them with the rivet gun while your riveting skills are honed. It's also faster and more comfortable to use. Not all rivets can be squeezed because you simply can't get to them with the squeezer, but a lot of them can.

Hopefully this will help someone from making the same mistake we did.

The American made squeezer that I upgraded to and works like it's supposed to is sold by Cleveland Tool. It's expensive, totally worth it, and most importantly a joy to use.

Last edited:
What? I built a whole RV-6 and never found that out.

You are a master, I bow to your excellent riveting skills. Suffice to say, new guys don't have jedi level riveting skills and the squeezer helps.

Last edited:
As a note, I got an American made WWII surplus unit (hidden in an aerospace workers garage for decades) and it also had a "slamming" action.

A local early RV tool guy modified it to work smoothly and the key change was the shape of the trigger valve. I believe it was the angles on part 47 (thanks for the correction) in this posting that made the difference -

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=960994&postcount=1

So, check the action of all squeezers before buying, but a "slamming" action can be corrected.

Last edited:
This was one of the many things Bob Avery delivered added value. He tweaked mine on multiple occasions. Usually after I dropped it on the floor. I don't think there was a squeezer he couldn't rebuild better than new.

As a note, I got an American made WWII surplus unit (hidden in an aerospace workers garage for decades) and it also had a "slamming" action.

A local early RV tool guy modified it to work smoothly and the key change was the shape of the trigger valve. I believe it was the angles on part 48 in this posting that made the difference -

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=960994&postcount=1

So, check the action of all squeezers before buying, but a "slamming" action can be corrected.

Looks like #47 in the diagram. Mine is a made in USA one, but I modified it so I had even more control. With an adjustable air flow limiter and the modification, I can bring it up to the rivet as slow or soft as I want. Still has full power when trigger fully depressed.

I bet the Chinese one can be modified to work better.

Related and one to watch.

My buddy bought a new squeezer from a store close to a yard :rolleyes:

When we got it back, we found that the quick retract button on the side was not fitted. What a pita that is as you are now back to replacing it with a screw in, screw out post rather than being able to pre load dies with washers as we normally do.

Much prefer the quick release one.

Back