What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Size of sockets and wrenches?

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

This migh be a silly question, but I desperately need info quickly.

I live in South Africa..(Metric country)..so getting a descent quality SAE tools is horribly expensive here since we do not use it.

I have an oppertunity for someone to bring me some tools back from the USA, but she comes back within a week or so:

I hope you guys can help me 2 things:

1) What sizes do we use on the RV7? I do not want to buy a complete set, since I will never use all the SAE wrenches in a metric country.
So Far I have encountered 3/8" , 7/16" , 1/2" , 11/16" what else?

2) What is good quality make wrench. Since I live in SA I do not know what brands is good or not in the USA?
I have seen the Gearwrench with the little 5degree ratched are they any good.

Thanks a lot
Kind Regards
Rudi

Sears

Hi Rudi,

nav_sears_logo.gif

Just send her to Sears. It's the best place for retail tools. Good value, lifetime warranty. I would get the sets. They are very cheap, and yes, you'll end up with some tools you don't use, but overall it is much cheaper.

Go to sears.com if you want to get an idea of what they've got. They also sell the ratchet wrenches. I've got a set and they are really nice.

Here's what I use:

wrench set - very small up to about 1"
socket set - same range, in both 1/4" and 3/8"
tap and die set - don't forget this, it can come in handy

Sears also has excellent screwdrivers and pliers of every shape and size.

It's a shame you can't visit there yourself, because you'd love the Sears tool department. I go there evey time I visit the US, and end up much poorer in cash, but much, much richer in tools. The prices are much less than Swiss prices. No idea how they compare to ZA.

Hi Mickey,

Thanks for the tip about Sears.com
"She" is my mom and what she knows about tools is dangerous! I do not want to send her on a tool hunting expedition, i will not know what I'll get back.:p

I like to order it online and send to her, but do not know the quality of the brands that sears keep.

Anybody else comment on what to get please??

Thanx

Rudi--

In my opinion, Sears hand tools are great--well made, life time warranty, etc.--though their electric power tools leave a lot to be desired. I do a lot of woodworking (or at least I did before I started putting airplane parts together) and love their hand tools but no longer waste my money on their power tools.

My suggestion is to just buy a package that has at least a 1/4" and 3/8" (or is it 1/4" and 1/2"???) ratchet with a wide assortment of sockets. They have MANY different kits, but usually they are just variations of the same thing. It shouldn't cost you more than $50-75 for a good, fairly complete set that would handle most everything the RV would throw at your (except perhaps for FWF stuff).

Good luck.

...and Rudi, the Sears "CRAFTSMAN" hand tools are the ones you want. They have other lines depending on what tool you are selecting, but make sure it says "CRAFTSMAN" on the tool when you buy it.

I second the motion about the electric tools being "adequate". You can do better for electrics, but they are OK. I have the little $90 Craftsman drill press and it is fine.

Hope this helps!

:cool: CJ

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
My suggestion is to just buy a package that has at least a 1/4" and 3/8" (or is it 1/4" and 1/2"???) ratchet with a wide assortment of sockets.
You'll want to go 3/8". 1/2" is pretty large...you won't use it as frequently as you will 3/8".

Brad

You'll also need 5/16" for the #6 nuts. But the best bet is to just buy a set. You'll eventually need some weird size to work on some engine part or something. They're relatively inexpensive. And ditto the other comments on Sears--good stuff. I bought a set of ratcheting wrenches and love them.

RV_7A said:

While browsing Sears today, I came across this set. This is a real good deal. It has the new Laser Etched sockets. Averages out to $0.60 a tool.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00934095000

Greg Piney
RV-8 Gonnabe
Setting up shop
Buying tools

Rudi,

As CJ has said, you want to get the Craftsman brand, as they are the line of tools that have the lifetime warranty. Many of the other brands they sell don't have the lifetime warranty. Not that the warranty will do you much good in SA! It will be more of a pain trying to return something than just ordering a new one. But the warranty implies they are quality tools. I've never had a Craftsman hand tool go bad on me.

My recommendation would be to look at Sears online, find the exact tool/set product number you want and have your mom stop in and tell the sales associate the specific number. That way she doesn't have to shop, you don't have to worry about not getting what you want and it is easy for everyone.

Take care,

Jim

Hi Guys, Thanks a lot for all the help.

Looking at all the links I see the GearWrench brand is slightly cheaper than the Craftsman brand with still a good guarantee.

I like the following 2 sets, can I get you comments on it compared to craftsman, before I get my mom to go collect it.

GearWrench Set: Sears item #00944003000
Gear Wrench 8 pc. Reversible Wrench Set, SAE for $54.99

and GearWrench Socket Set: Sears item #00930049000
Gear Wrench 49 pc. GearRatchet Set, SAE for $49.99

Thank you in advance.
Regards
Rudi

T-handles

BTW, anyone know where I can buy a T-handle with a 1/4" and/or 3/8" end on it? All the t-handles I have already have a socket built on.

greylingr said:
...........What sizes do we use on the RV7? I do not want to buy a complete set, since I will never use all the SAE wrenches in a metric country.
So Far I have encountered 3/8" , 7/16" , 1/2" , 11/16" what else?
2) What is good quality make wrench...........Rudi
Rudi,

I'm surprised no one has mentioned an 11/32" open end wrench. You'll use it.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla" 78 hours

Last edited:
As far as taps, I've used:

6-32, 8-32, 10-32, 5/16-18 - there may be others but that's what I've run across so far

You might want to see if you can get some reamers, too.

Back