What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Trailing Edge Prep for Sealant

StressedOut

Well Known Member
I'm closing up the rudder and need to adhere the wedge to the skin. I primed (Akzo two-part epoxy) the inside of the skin before I realized there is a specific instruction to leave the skin common to the wedge bare.

I've decided to use Proseal (AC-232-B2) as the adhesive. Should I sand all the primer away or can I get a good bond by just cleaning then roughing the surface with either ScotchBright or sandpaper?

If it's ok to bond over the primer, what cleaner should I use? Acetone? MEK? Soap and water only? IPA? I've heard that if you let whatever solvent evaporate it'll cause a real problem for bonding.

Anybody have any advice?

Vans recommends scoring the aluminum really good to create a bonding surface when building the tanks. I think this would apply here as well.

This isn't a critical bond. I'd lightly scuff the primer, wipe the dust off, and apply the proseal. The stuff sticks very well and, again, this is not a critical bond. You're only bonding the assembly to assist in creating a straighter trailing edge, so it only has to last until you're done riveting the trailing edge.

Both

I did boh ways on my RV9 trailing edge. What i found more important was to be
break the trailing edge skin; otherwise it came up on me and didnt sit completely flush to the wedge at the TE

I did this exact same thing on my rudder. The sealant here as far as I can tell is just to help keep the edge straight during riveting. I applied as normal and it came out straight as an arrow.

Back