What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

360 Video with External Mic Input

rswalden

Well Known Member
Need your recommendations for a 360 video camera with external mic input....

I plan to mount the camera on the fiberglass nacelle in front of the vertical stab to capture formation videos. The video would be played immediately after the flight for debriefing and critiquing practice formations. I also need sound input from my headset that captures radio calls. Any "stitching" of the video must be done real-time during the flight. Ideally the video/sound would be recorded on a removable SD chip for playback, or from the camera itself when removed from the mount. Another option would be to transmit the video real time to the cockpit where a recording device (laptop/iPhone/iPad) would combine the video and sound. I don't need high resolution video playback for this project.

Any ideas or recommendations? So far, I haven't found a working solution.

Your ideas are appreciated!

Last edited:
Apparently there aren't any. I've been researching the same thing for months while looking for a 360 camera to buy. Still can't make up my mind on which brand or model either.

The Garmin VIRB360 can take external audio via Bluetooth, BUT...I found it to be flaky. I have the CrazedPilot audio splitter cable + bluetooth wireless microphone thing. And here's the really annoying part: if you set it all up, get BT connected, turn off WiFi (to save battery life) and put it in "sleep" mode to use the little remote control to "wake" it, it doesn't reconnect to BT. Grrrr....absolutely useless as far as audio goes if it's mounted outside the cockpit.

Back