What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust Question

pilot28906

Well Known Member
When I ordered the FWF kit I deleted the exhaust system thinking I was going with a different engine. However, I ended up purchasing the IO-360-M1B from Vans. Is the exhaust system for this engine from Van's the best fit for this engine or is there another better option?

Thanks

Vetterman

Not sure what alternatives there are, but two weeks ago I installed a Vetterman crossover exhaust system on my M1B. The system fit perfectly and was easily accomplished.

Another vote for Vettermans - my crossover bolted right up like it should with zero drama.

Crossover is fine unless you plan to install a fwd facing sump (e.g. cold air sump). The trombone system works great with the fwd facing FI.

Crossover is fine unless you plan to install a fwd facing sump (e.g. cold air sump). The trombone system works great with the fwd facing FI.

I've got the crossover with the superior forward facing cold air sump on my IO360, no interference.

+1 for the trombone system

I installed the Vetterman trombone system on mine with the superior cold air induction. It?s a great system and allows exceptionally easy routing of the throttle and mixture cables directly under the sump. No cross over pipes to worry about.

Simon

I have Van's FWF kit with the included Vetterman exhaust and the IO-360M1B horizontal induction and everything fit great.

Thanks for all the input; looks like the one Van's sells works great. What is the advantage of the trombone exhaust?

Kinda off topic, but has any one ?Jet Hot? or ceramic coated the exhaust on there airplane?

Coatings are not recommended. They allow the tube metal temps to exceed the material limits and will reduce the life of the system.

I did use jet hot on my truck headers (factory applied), it flaked off, twice. If it's a working vehicle or valve cover bookend maybe, otherwise, no.

Thanks for all the input; looks like the one Van's sells works great. What is the advantage of the trombone exhaust?

1. No pipes to crossover, so if you need full access to all the bosses on the cold air sump for something like an inverted oil system it makes that much more simple.

2. Has mufflers in each side, one of which by default has a heat shroud (you can add a second one), which will generally deliver more heat to the air used to heat the cabin.

3. It looks and sounds pretty darn cool.

Nothing wrong with the Van?s exhaust either, of course.

The Vetterman's exhaust fit great. One thing to keep in mind is that if you choose to use a James cowl as I did the input air to the heat muff comes from the rear of the engine baffles rather than the front as does Van's cowl system. This creates problems with getting the scat tubes routed to the muff. It seems there was a muff available to make it work but not now. I made my own muff that is hooked up but I am not flying yet.

Trombone

I like the Trombone exhaust, but am little concerned about the weight. Do the mufflers weigh much?

Ron B.

Going from somewhat distant memory, I think my total exhaust with mufflers weighed before installing was somewhere around 13-14 pounds.

Trombone

Vetterman's website intimates uncertainty about the Trombone fitting an 8A. Did you install the Trombone on your 8A, Greg?

Ron B.

Vetterman's website intimates uncertainty about the Trombone fitting an 8A. Did you install the Trombone on your 8A, Greg?

Ron B.

Yes, I sure did. It fits just fine (quite well, actually) and if you give Clint a call or email I am sure he'd be glad to fill in any blanks.

Back