What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electrical Connector Wing to Body

sglynn

Well Known Member
Did anybody use an electrical connector on the outside of the fuselage, at the wing root, and within the wing connection space to connect wires from the wing to the fuselage? If so was there plenty of room for the connector? Has weather worn on the connection?

I put pig tails on my wings with round CPC connectors from Jameco and I don't want to drill a hole in the fuselage for them to fit thru. I could put the connector on the wing wires after pushing them thru a small hole into the fuselage, but if I mount a connector on outside of fuselage just behind the spar it would be an easy connection later to put the wings on. And later if the wires need service I could just remove the wing root fairing.

Is this a bad idea? What have others done for bring wing wires into the fuselage?

I did on several RVs with no regrets and would do it again as it's a no brainer and very convenient. I wouldn't use huge connectors as the gap isn't all that big. Water doesn't seem to have been an issue either. Each item in the wing had it's own connector and the inspection loop was left plenty long enough to connect the wires above wing.

Instead of connectors outside the fuselage I put terminal blocks on the floor underneath the seat pans. If the wires ever need replacing I can easily disconnect them at the terminal block and either pull the small ring terminal through the side hole or cut the ring off and pull the wire through. No outside connections to worry about getting to this way.

Like Steve says, this is by far the easiest method. It is VERY rare to need to remove the wings later and even if you did, the seat pans would have to come off to access the mounting bolts.

Instead of connectors outside the fuselage I put terminal blocks on the floor underneath the seat pans. If the wires ever need replacing I can easily disconnect them at the terminal block and either pull the small ring terminal through the side hole or cut the ring off and pull the wire through. No outside connections to worry about getting to this way.

Would love to see some photos!

Wing connectors

Bill
Where do you plan to put the connectors? If inside the fuselage how will you get them in there? Will you drill a fairly large hole? Or put connector bodies on after running wires inside?

PS I looked at the terminal block but I don't like the exposed wire ends. Most are positive current.

I'm using Deutsch DT/DTM environmentally-sealed, high grade automotive connectors for this connection. Easy to assemble and robust.

Got mine at: http://www.deutschconnector.com/products/deutsch_connectors/deutsch_dtm_series_connectors/
though they are generally available from many sources.

.. no photos yet; still wiring up the roots!

If someone wants to go this direction, go to your Caterpillar dealer and look at their DT kit. It has a assorted connectors and the crimping tool for basically the price of the crimper. A pretty good deal if you want to go this direction. The DT is a very good reliable all weather connector.

Same here, easy access, secure, reliable, higher current capacity and cheaper.

As an alternative, put a small service loop in the wing root area. If you ever have to remove the wings you can then add a connector.

Bill
Where do you plan to put the connectors? If inside the fuselage how will you get them in there? Will you drill a fairly large hole? Or put connector bodies on after running wires inside?

Hi Steve,
I was planning on mounting them to the fuse just aft of the aileron pushrod hole.
The DT/DTM connectors have a nice clip that I'll pop-rivet in place. The wing wire bundle will connect to the ones on the fuse. One wing will have two sets of connectors, (1) lighting, (2) roll servo.; the other side just one for lighting/pitot.

I used a Cannon connector. Nice clean and solid. But in retrospect Tom Martin's suggestion looks like a good solution if/when the wings come off. Mine have never been off since final assembly.

Did this on mine, bought a weatherpak kit for cars that is designed for weather, water, etc. Bit spendy to get the kit and proper tools, but came out nice and I can easily pull the pins out if I need to get thru a grommet, etc.

The first place to look for an electrical problem is at the circuit connections. By adding three connections (each contact and contact-to-contact) you've increased failure potential, let alone complexity, and to what good? I ran unbroken wires from the panel/fuses to the wing accessories with little trouble. A few wires and some coax (ah, yes, .3db loss per connector!) will be the very least of my worries if I have to pull a wing. And that's never happened, and never will unless something really nasty happens. The only time someone might want to pull wings is paint after test flights. In that case, pulling the wires takes less time than the installation of a fuse/wing connector.
John Siebold

Last edited:
Connectors

This has been done many ways obviously. Some with connectors, some without. I had connectors on my first RV and installed connectors on the new one. It's a little more work up front but really worth it when it comes time to remove the wings for paint or any other reason. I also have the same type of connectors for the wing tips. Super easy. You can also see the BNC for an antenna. There are two of these on the other wing.

21n4mdc.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
underseat terminal block

Here's a photo from my RV-7 build if it helps. I've done a couple of RV's this way now. As Steve mentioned, I found that it simplified the wiring. They are under my butt, in the bay next to the center tunnel. Crotch belt mount is visible at center left for orientation purposes.

i-xwTRCx2-X2.jpg

Here's a photo from my RV-7 build if it helps. I've done a couple of RV's this way now. As Steve mentioned, I found that it simplified the wiring. They are under my butt, in the bay next to the center tunnel. Crotch belt mount is visible at center left for orientation purposes.

i-xwTRCx2-X2.jpg

Lars, do you have the terminal blocks seated on a tray?

I installed DB9 connectors at the wing root to match DB9 in the wing, but I would not do it again. The time spent versus the likelihood of needing them just doesn't make sense to me (now after the fact).

I used terminal blocks and ring connectors for the position lights/strobes, and just hardwired everything else, leaving a little slack for a future cut & splice. The only time the wings will ever come off is for transport, if I'm ever unlucky enough to have an off-airport landing.

Creating a potential point of failure

I'll cut the wires if I ever need to remove the wings. Then I'll install proper, robust connectors -or splice - when I put the wings back on. 17 years and the wings are still as installed originally.

I'm still building so, fwiw: I'm using one CPC connector for the wires out the right wing to the servo because I want a really good all in one connector for the array of data bus wires and controls out to the roll servo - primary "autopilot" servo in the Garmin setup. I'm pretty pleased with the solid connection - added an o-ring on the outside so it should stay watertight. Otherwise - I'm using terminal blocks and splices for the lights, pitot heat, fuel levels, stall warning.

https://www.facebook.com/BZsRVproje...567885686268/1433799550029762/?type=3&theater

Lars, do you have the terminal blocks seated on a tray?

I made a couple of angles out of aluminum sheet, then pop riveted them to the ribs. There is a gap between the angles that you can't really see in the photo. Then screwed the terminal blocks to the angles. Not very sophisticated.

I was influenced in my decision to add the terminal blocks+ring connectors and consequent extra potential electrical failure points by the opinions (grumblings?) of a hangar neighbor whose business was exporting aircraft overseas. Including a lot of RVs. He was much happier when there was a clean way to disconnect wing wiring rather than having to cut. He also argued that it could make troubleshooting easier, though thankfully I haven't had to do that yet. All electrons arriving at my terminal blocks continue to flow to their appointed destinations as originally intended.

Back