What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip Up Side Weldments Splice Plate

LANE

I'm New Here
Hi all. I was proceeding to drill the wd-613 splice plate that connects the 725 side weldments to the canopy frame when I noticed that one of my predrilled holes (I predrilled the splice plate holes on my drill press) into the splice plate almost lined up with the pre-punched canopy skin and frame. This is the aft most hole in the canopy skin. The skin plans call for a 3- rivet here but the splice plate calls for 4-. I looked at Dan C's website and he always has this hole un-cleco'ed. Brian M's website does the same thing. Does this prepunched hole get used? Everybody shoes the splice plate riveted on with the skin. So... Another Van's mystery on a Saturday afternoon. Thanks.

Once you rivet the splice plate to the frame and are later drilling out the skin to the frame, it may be that a skin to frame rivet is in conflict. Just drill anyway and rivet the whole assembly. You could move the one splice rivet over to accommodate the skin rivet or add an extra one. There are plenty of rivets in that splice. And if using an AN4 rivet covers the whole assembly, use that.

Back