What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Broken canopy

Phantom165

I'm New Here
I have an RV-8 with a piece of the canopy broken off. It broke off on the Right Front corner of the aft canopy. It broke at the the first rivet hole on the right side. The edge it broke off of is sandwiched between the canopy skirt and the frame. I cant really get to it. It broke cleanly through the rivet hole across the bottom corner of the plexiglass. the piece that broke off isn't any bigger than a dime. Should I attempt some type of repair?

Welcome to VAF!

Steve, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

Sorry to hear about the canopy problem, it would really help if you could post a photo showing the damaged area-------lots of folks here can help with good suggestions, but I am not one of them---sorry.

Mine broke exactly the same way but on the left side....8 years ago. I left it alone as the piece just fell out (about a 1" triangle).

That lip of the canopy is behind the windscreen fiberglass in flight so there are no issues.

Weld On cement

Steve, search "Weld On" acrylic cement on this web site. If you can hold the piece in place and use Weld On number 4 to glue it you may be able to repair it. John

Thanks

Thanks for the good advice. It sounds like RV8bldr experienced the exact same thing I did. It comforts me to know you have flown it that way for 8 years with no problems. I filled the gap between the fairing and the canopy frame with RTV to give it a little more support. I hope to master posting photos soon. Thanks to everyone.

Broken plexi corner

I am wondering if there is a method to repair a broken canopy corner. I can remove couple screws and pry the plexiglass from the frame. Any suggestions?
Glue? Transparent tape from both sides maybe? :eek:

Canopy%20corner%20broken%20-%201.jpg

Canopy%20corner%20broken%20-%201%201.jpg

Weld-On 4 Acrylic Adhesive

Vlad,

Take out those two lower screws. Make sure the parts fit together perfectly. If not, you'll have to introduce a bend in the larger piece to match the contour of the smaller piece. Clamp a piece of material to the canopy so that you can hold the two pieces in alignment for a few minutes while the Weld-On 4 Acrylic Adhesive sets. Weld-On 4 Acrylic Adhesive instructions - http://www.eplastics.com/pdf/IPS4SDS.pdf

You can plug that stop drill hole - http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/video/1967301183001/repairing-cracked-plexiglas?autoStart=true&page=3&q=brian

You have cracks forming around that second screw. You may be able to repair them by using the CAPILLARY METHOD in the Weld-On 4 Acrylic Adhesive instructions.

Don't replace those screws you removed fully tight. If the Plexiglas doesn't fit tight to the canopy bow, put shims in there behind the screws. You might try a clear flexible sealant, such as DAP Dynaflex 230, under those not quite tight screw heads, but check for compatibility with the acrylic first.

Final finishing of the repair - http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/video/665778628001/rejuvenating-a-canopy?autoStart=true&q=canopy

Cheers, David
RV-6A A&P

I would put a fiberglass or aluminum targa strip over it. That would give you a place to glue the plexiglass to and cover the joint making it water tight.

Vlad,

Take out those two lower screws. Make sure the parts fit together perfectly. If not, you'll have to introduce a bend in the larger piece to match the contour of the smaller piece. Clamp a piece of material to the canopy so that you can hold the two pieces in alignment for a few minutes while the Weld-On 4 Acrylic Adhesive sets. Weld-On 4 Acrylic Adhesive instructions - http://www.eplastics.com/pdf/IPS4SDS.pdf

You can plug that stop drill hole - http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/video/1967301183001/repairing-cracked-plexiglas?autoStart=true&page=3&q=brian

You have cracks forming around that second screw. You may be able to repair them by using the CAPILLARY METHOD in the Weld-On 4 Acrylic Adhesive instructions.

Don't replace those screws you removed fully tight. If the Plexiglas doesn't fit tight to the canopy bow, put shims in there behind the screws. You might try a clear flexible sealant, such as DAP Dynaflex 230, under those not quite tight screw heads, but check for compatibility with the acrylic first.

Final finishing of the repair - http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/video/665778628001/rejuvenating-a-canopy?autoStart=true&q=canopy

Cheers, David
RV-6A A&P

David thanks for excellent references. Will report the results here.

I would put a fiberglass or aluminum targa strip over it. That would give you a place to glue the plexiglass to and cover the joint making it water tight.

Rocky targa needs extensive work I don't have neither time nor facility as of now. Winter is coming... :)

Rob, thanks for offline message.

Vlad,

Cheers, David
RV-6A A&P

I would be very interested in how this works out Vlad. I have an almost identical broken piece, happened when the canopy slammed shut from a wind gust.. I can advise that none of the three "super glues" I tried works.

Screws/wedges

I have an RV-8 with a piece of the canopy broken off. It broke off on the Right Front corner of the aft canopy. It broke at the the first rivet hole on the right side. The edge it broke off of is sandwiched between the canopy skirt and the frame. I cant really get to it. It broke cleanly through the rivet hole across the bottom corner of the plexiglass. the piece that broke off isn't any bigger than a dime. Should I attempt some type of repair?

Sorry to hear about your canopy misfortune. The problem with using a screw to hold the acrylic is that it will act as a wedge and as the temperature changes a crack(s) will develop. I've seen several canopy's crack from this attachment method.
To help with this make sure that the screw is not tight in the acrylic, or make a aluminum or fiberglass fairing and put between the screw and acrylic.
Good luck with the fix...

My plexi woes

I was placing the canopy on my RV 7 and using a small electric driver. The driver was too quick and when tightening a screw that had a space between the rollbar and canopy a crack started right there over the screw.

Not flying yet but i did the Weld on glue and stop drilled the gap and so far it has held rather well.

moral of story....... never use a motorised screwdriver around sensitive material.

Weld On

Vlad,

Cheers, David
RV-6A A&P

This is the correct way to fix.

Weld On Adhesive is called this because it actually "welds" the acrylic. Super glues and silicone don't even come close.

Used to work for a company called Custom Plastic Fabricators, we would make any design out of acrylic. We used different types of the Weld On products, heavy stuff to fill gaps and thin if the parts had a good fit.

If we ran out of the thick for gaps, we would mix up some using little pieces of the acrylic, letting it sit until the acrylic was dissolved into the adhesive.

One thing learned there was when drilling the acrylic or cutting, we would use masking tape on both sides of the plastic to protect it. For drilling we took normal drill bits and re-shaped the drill point to the opposite direction. This stopped the crazing around the hole.

Using any alcohol products to clean causes the acrylic to craze or crack over time. We used MEK to clean the acrylic, this is nasty stuff, you get any in your eyes and it will destroy them fast.

When using the Weld on, the tighter fit the better, we would apply using a plastic bottle that had a small metal straw, letting the adhesive seep into the joint or along the seam needing welded. You can actually see it enter into the seam, this way you can see that it has completely covered the area needing welded. The seam should start looking like a mirror-any bubbles will not look the same.

If the bottle is not available, you can find them at a sporting good store, go to the fishing department and get the little bottles for applying glue when tying "Fly Fishing" hooks.

Worked for this company back in the 1980's, so some lessons have been lost.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

This is the correct way to fix.

Weld On Adhesive is called this because it actually "welds" the acrylic. Super glues and silicone don't even come close.

Used to work for a company called Custom Plastic Fabricators, we would make any design out of acrylic. We used different types of the Weld On products, heavy stuff to fill gaps and thin if the parts had a good fit.

If we ran out of the thick for gaps, we would mix up some using little pieces of the acrylic, letting it sit until the acrylic was dissolved into the adhesive.

One thing learned there was when drilling the acrylic or cutting, we would use masking tape on both sides of the plastic to protect it. For drilling we took normal drill bits and re-shaped the drill point to the opposite direction. This stopped the crazing around the hole.

Using any alcohol products to clean causes the acrylic to craze or crack over time. We used MEK to clean the acrylic, this is nasty stuff, you get any in your eyes and it will destroy them fast.

When using the Weld on, the tighter fit the better, we would apply using a plastic bottle that had a small metal straw, letting the adhesive seep into the joint or along the seam needing welded. You can actually see it enter into the seam, this way you can see that it has completely covered the area needing welded. The seam should start looking like a mirror-any bubbles will not look the same.

If the bottle is not available, you can find them at a sporting good store, go to the fishing department and get the little bottles for applying glue when tying "Fly Fishing" hooks.

Worked for this company back in the 1980's, so some lessons have been lost.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Ha! I worked for Eastern Plastics when I was a kid just out of college. I could have written this!!

Interested to see how this works for you Vlad. I saw a LOT of breaks like that on virtually every tip-up I looked at when I was searching for a plane.

Heat

I think Vlad's challenge will be matching the curve of the broken piece to the rest of the canopy. Might try using a heat gun on the broken piece and gently bending until the 2 curves match before gluing.

My $0.02

Back