- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2011, 06:12 PM

Default Nicest Prop Pitch Fixture?

I believe I have seen four or five nice propeller fixtures made for use with a digital level in setting the ground adjustable Sensenich composite propeller. I think it's time that we take a good look at who has the best little design and put together a 'package' that could be made available at $50-$75 that would make everyones life better that maintains an RV-12.

I see lots of 9" digital levels out there at Sears and Home Depot and they all proclaim a level of accuracy within .1 degree and a selling price of $39.95. A simple fixture and a worthy digital level would make a nice package for any RV-12 owner/operator.

Sure, I can build a fixture for my use and I'm pretty sure that someone at Vans has built a fixture that is used on the company demo unit; but I haven't seen a fixture offered to the RV-12 public?

Anybody interested?

Jay Sluiter
N124CS
Albany, OR (S12)
Old 10-25-2011, 03:14 PM

Thumbs up Nicest Prop Pitch Fixture?

I really like this idea!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:28 AM

Nothing can set the blades closer to each other than to point a laser lite to a spot on the floor.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:33 PM

Default Digital level

Could you explain the steps taken to use the level on the prop.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:55 PM

I agree. Do you have any photos of someone using this method?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
Nothing can set the blades closer to each other than to point a laser lite to a spot on the floor.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:06 PM

Go here, click on Tools and Work Fixtures:
http://tonytessitore.smugmug.com/RV-12Project/
Old 10-27-2011, 04:37 PM

Default Prop Pitch adjustment instructions

Rvator issue Number 3 for 2010, has an in-depth article by Scott on using the protractor. If you don't have it, just click on the picture, go to page 3.

Tony
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 11-04-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threetracker View Post
I believe I have seen four or five nice propeller fixtures made for use with a digital level in setting the ground adjustable Sensenich composite propeller. I think it's time that we take a good look at who has the best little design and put together a 'package' that could be made available at $50-$75 that would make everyones life better that maintains an RV-12.

I see lots of 9" digital levels out there at Sears and Home Depot and they all proclaim a level of accuracy within .1 degree and a selling price of $39.95. A simple fixture and a worthy digital level would make a nice package for any RV-12 owner/operator.

Sure, I can build a fixture for my use and I'm pretty sure that someone at Vans has built a fixture that is used on the company demo unit; but I haven't seen a fixture offered to the RV-12 public?

Anybody interested?

Jay Sluiter
N124CS
Albany, OR (S12)
For pitch adjustments I use vans fixture and a digital level per KAi and note the bubble is off a third to the right when looking straight-on, even after leveled on canopy frame, and reading 0.0. Any ideas why the difference? Woodblocks are squared. The digital level reads .08-9 when bubble appears centered.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHound View Post
For pitch adjustments I use vans fixture and a digital level per KAi and note the bubble is off a third to the right when looking straight-on, even after leveled on canopy frame, and reading 0.0. Any ideas why the difference? Woodblocks are squared. The digital level reads .08-9 when bubble appears centered.
I also use Van's fixture and haven't had any trouble setting my pitch but I can't visualize the two measurements you're referring to when you say there's a difference.

My digital level has both a bubble and a digital readout. Are you saying the bubble and digital readout on your level don't agree?
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845; first flight 06/10/2015
RV-12 N918EN ELSA #120995 Eagles Nest Project
SPA Panther N26TK in progress
Old 11-04-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkk View Post
I also use Van's fixture and haven't had any trouble setting my pitch but I can't visualize the two measurements you're referring to when you say there's a difference.

My digital level has both a bubble and a digital readout. Are you saying the bubble and digital readout on your level don't agree?
Hi Tom, Yes. Bubble is off to the right when calibrated/digital reads 0.0. How can that be?