What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

More Montana

hydroguy2

Well Known Member
Saturday another beautiful day in Montana and I had a kitchen pass, so off I went to meet friends at 23S. Seeley Lake Airport was celebrating their 50th birthday and the Montana Pilots Association was turning 75.

Forecast was to be perfect fall flying, but things were looking a little dark as I headed towards Helena. Neil and Tracy went to the south side pointed at McDonald Pass, I was 20min behind aiming for Stemple pass. I was underneath zipping forward, but I could see the clouds reached the ground up ahead. There was a light path teasing me to go forward, when Neil called me on 122.75 and said they couldn't get under and were now on top over the pass. Good enough for me, I spun around and tuck my tail for the hole at Helena. While I momentarily wondered if we could get back home later today, I mostly enjoyed the cool smooth air. I don't climb on top in the mountains (well not very often), but the view was fantastic.

over the top at 8500' for about 25 miles, I caught Neil and Tracy in their Rans S-7 and tried to get a little video. I had slowed to about 130kts as I got closer, but forget RV's don't slow quickly and they are only doing 115...mph. 2nd pass wasn't any better. Plus I need to get closer and move my camera to the other side so I can see them better.
VIDEO: Over the Top

Coming in to Seeley, I was a mile behind Neil and a Maule kept radioing his location as if he were exactly on Neil. I finally saw the White Maule come in to view, high and outside 1 mile. I took position #3....big mistake. The Maule apparently was being piloted by a Southwest Pilot. I did a 360 on downwind for spacing and still had time to watch his 2 mile final.
Oh well...Here's a shorted version of my pattern at Seeley.
VIDEO: Landing & take-off Seeley lake

Had about 60 planes, I think there was 4 RV's

RV-4 for sale, I have contact info if anyone interested

this Hangar hotel was for sale also. Bargain $800K :eek:

A couple hundred folks came out for burgers, brats, and BS about airplanes

Little nicer over the rocks going home

I dropped over Canyon Ferry to do a lake run. I sped it up 4X and then @x to shorten the Video
Canyon Ferry run

Time for an oil change again :D:D:D

Last edited:
this Hangar hotel was for sale also. Bargain $800K :eek:

Looks so inviting. Katie, my wife (from Montana) wants to know what we would do in the winter?

Nice trip over the rocks! Sure beats Shelby MT were we go...

Looks so inviting. Katie, my wife (from Montana) wants to know what we would do in the winter?

Nice trip over the rocks! Sure beats Shelby MT were we go...

If you live in Seeley Lake, you either ice fish or go snowmobiling. Not much flying with the runway under feet of snow. :cool:

Karl

If you live in Seeley Lake, you either ice fish or go snowmobiling. Not much flying with the runway under feet of snow. :cool:

Karl

Actually they plow the runway these days....helps when the president of the MPA and one of the Aeronautics guys live on the field

For sale is it right? I have to ask my rouble rich friend if he needs a retreat like this :D

Flying a little low, aren't you?

I've never been to the Testicle Festival or locally called the Testy Fest. But I hear everyone has a ball.:D

Back