What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tyler Voss's RV-8

the Boss working for me this time

Roles are reversed this time when I have my boss come out and give a hand on laying the multiple layers of glass and epoxy. His donation to the project was the glass and epoxy... What a guy!

Tie in the Roll over bar faring

I was able to reuse the old glass from the previous install to continue. Just have to tie it in.

Yes it was epoxied in as well, not just rivited with pop rivets.

Local News

A Local new Station came out to the airfield to check on the progress.

I'm still not much of a fan of the lime-light

Inspection before First Flight

Came across a Cracked Cylinder on the exhaust port. ended up being almost 2in long.

yup.. got to swap this one out

Carb

Also during the inspection, the carb mix valve shaft was worn out and needed to be fixed. ended up ordering a new carb. I ordered a new one, gave the the exact part number of the carb I had and got it in pretty quick.

When it got in, the A&P took one look at it and said it was for a Continental engine. Tyler's is an o-360.

I called the Marvell and gave them the engine specs and they told me that the carb I had was for a Continental 0-470... I have no Idea how it ran the way it did.

I sent it back and they sent the correct Carb weeks later. The Cables hook up totally different and much better actually so all in all, it worked out well.

Below is the old Carb and Mixture arm.. Look how bad the angle is...

This is the new Carb Installed

Seats

Thanks to The Gracious Donations by Oregon Areo, they made these Custom Memory foam Seats for Tyler.

Update

I wanted to Thank everyone that donated to the Fundraiser I set up to pay for those high dollar parts. The fundraiser was such a success!

Always something

Doing some final touch-ups and found the leads on the coils for the ignition (Plasma I) were loose so i was going to safety wire them in place... the stupid lead that is permanently installed in the coil fell out in my hand. Good thing that only runs 2 cylinders huh?

Also found that the Dynon OAT probe quit working already, purchased a new one and its ready to install.

And the "Kicker".... I got all my parts in and broke my ankle this week, Figures!
Cant walk, or put weight on it so I am left to crawl.

again on hold until I get on my feet again.

Still Kickin'

I finally got the Coil Pack and OAT Tube installed since I had to replace them.

Had the Good Ole' Folks hanging around the Eaa help push it out so I can run it to test the Coils.

Had not brakes since I am forced to wear a cast.. good chalks installed.

Good to go and the Annual will be signed of on Friday when the Inspector checks the final install of all the parts.

Maybe Fly soon?... Hopefully?

More Road Blocks

Going though the "Required Documents to have in your plane" and found that Tyler never registered it in his name and his N Number is on hold and his registration expired 2 years ago...

AAAHHHHH!!!!

Can you get it out of the "on hold" status? Maybe sending the story of your rebuild and the story about Tyler will touch someone in the FAA to make it happen. Some of them are human. Is there a chance his family could complete the registration and get the N number Tyler wanted?

TRYING TO FIND PREVIOUS OWNER!!!

I need to find the previous owner of this Aircraft I know the name but don't want to post it here. I have looked on current registered aircraft, people lookkup online, Facebook... I'm stuck.. any suggestions?

If he never registered it in his name, then the last registration would have the previous owner listed on the FAA website and his address. Without a Bill of Sale from the previous owner, I think you're stuck with the FAA until his family get's their hands on the original or a replacement from the last registered owner.
If the airplane has NEVER been registered, only an N number reserved, then you still need a Bill of Sale, which the "original" one comes from Vans Aircraft that they issue to the kit serial number when you are ready for the FIRST actual registration with the FAA.
I'm a little confused on where the airplane is in that regard.

Last edited:
Maybe Kitplanes is looking for a great story honoring Tyler and showing all the work you went through to make his dream a reality. EAA? AOPA?

Thanks for making it happen Matt.

I got all the Paperwork completed with The FAA! Now I just have to find a day to fly!

Stories

I know Washington Pilots Association did a story but I am not sure if If I ever saw it. Im just looking forward to getting it in the air and home!

I know Krem2 wanted to do a wrap up story when it is done but I wont tell them until it flies at least once. Maybe the day it goes home or something.

AAANNNNDDD AirBorne!

So before the storm came in today we were able to get it off the ground!!!

Small issues to deal with...
#1. Fowled Plugs on Rt. Mag
#2. No Code C.

Yee Hawwww! Sweet! Congrats! Hope there will be some video... but please no Kenny Loggins music in the background. LOL..j/k.

More shakedown testing

This photo was taken by John Richardson out at Felts Field while Mark Scott and I were doing some passes across 22L

Last edited:
This photo was taken by John Richardson out at Felts Field while Mark Scott and I were doing some passes across 22L

Looks like we have tomorrow's front page! Congrats on all the hard work! I am sure Tyler would be proud. Awesome picture with meaning....

Tail wheel Training...

If you look Closely.. You can see the Knowledge and Experience transferring from Addison Pemberton to Manny Ochoa

Manny and I are planning on flying the RV home today.. Ill Upload Pictures when I get back!

I Shout out to Steinair with their help on some wiring Troubleshooting!

Last edited:
Matt,
Great photo of the plane you finished for Tyler. I am sure he would be proud of the work you did and will be with you on your flight to deliver the plane. Nice work. Thank you from all of us that remember Tyler.

In transit...

So far we made it to Boise Id. 5he skies cleared long enough to get out of spokane. Trip planning this morning, next stop... south?

I am thankful of all your kind words and thoughts, looking forward to the flights today!

Taking the RV Home

Approach to Boise, clear all the way!

The Next am realizing our Journey was going to be a blast!

Last edited:
Bringing the RV Home

Next stop was Salt lake City

The woman seen was Tyler's Girlfriend that lives in Salt lake now. She brought us lunch! Very Kind of her!

Just a beautiful scenery.

Last edited:
On our way to southern Utah, we were listening to Center and heard there were 2 CV-22's on our tail...

Page AZ.. Just outside of Lake Powell

If you have time to take one picture... Take another because when you want it focused... it wont be...

Back