What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

World's oddest fly-in - Burningman

kevinh

Well Known Member
Hi ya'll,

I just got back from flying my 'just out of phase I' RV-7A into Burning Man. If you haven't heard of this - it is a strange gathering of nice people out in the middle of a harsh Nevada desert. Huge art installations, explosions, great music and for one week each year the third largest 'city' in Nevada.

Each year the burning man pilot volunteers build a small airport by deciding on a section of the playa to be the preferred runway.

I flew about thirteen hours giving lots of rides. After lots of soft field landings and taxing across a somewhat rutted road, my nosegear is still attached. :D

These pictures are all rather small thumbnails taken by various passengers - for many more full size photos see my build/fly log. Or the better pictures/descriptions by a pilot friend I met at the burn.

The camp off the wingtip:
DSCN5468-thumb.jpg

The RV glamour shot:
DSCN5505-thumb.jpg

I did not take this picture, but it is so much better than the pictures taken by my passengers, I felt I must include it:

bong.20803.jpg
(caption/attribution)

If you are interested in flying up to bman next year, you should probably visit this link. I'm also happy to share my advice based on previous burns.

PS: Please overlook my lack of a paint job, and the fiberglass/canopy finish work that still remains...

Last edited:
A few more burning man pics...

The 'runway':
DSCN5503-thumb.jpg

Prefurred land transport:
Burning%20Man%202005%20-%20009-thumb.jpg

Blowing things up:
Burning%20Man%202005%20-%20048-thumb.jpg

Some random passenger's thigh:
DSCN5492-thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Burning man

Okay Kevin, this whole thing looks a little weird. I think your credibility on the old "RV O' meter" just went a little left of center

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ

I didn't need the refresher on the nature of the event. I had heard about it before.

One question about that random leg shot... male or female?

Sounds like an odd time was had by all!

:D CJ

Wow! This is totally cool.

I plan to make it to at least one burning man in my -7.
Hopefully it will still be going on when it's completed.

Back