What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy transition area sanded too thin

iamtheari

Well Known Member
Tonight was my second hour sanding on the canopy forward fairing. It turned out really well except for the following two things:

* In the transition area on both sides, I reached plexiglass. On the left side it's just a small area, about 1" x 1/4" exposed. On the right side it's 8-1/2" long and mostly 1/4" wide but at one point it reaches 1/2" and the edge of one canopy clip is exposed

* In the flat side area, on both sides, a small area of aluminum canopy skin is exposed

I am debating what to do about this. It seems that I could do any of the following:

1. Add more electrical tape layers and lay up more fiberglass across the entire fairing to get a thicker piece to work with
2. Just lay up more fiberglass on the affected areas, maybe two examples of Ply A
3. Use a microballoon mixture to make a thin layer of fill across the affected areas

Other than these issues and a couple of low spots on the forward radiused edge of the canopy fairing, which are not that low, I am happy with my results. Hoping to get some advice and build on without delay. Once I finish the canopy, I'm putting it on wheels and moving it to the garage so I can have space to build the wings in the main airplane factory (basement).

Thanks in advance!

Back