What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wing install question

N18RA

I purchased a partially completed RV-8 Kit about 6 months ago and have finally gotten to the wing installation. Here is the dilema, the Spar center section in the fuselage is a little tight for the spars to go in. Now here are the questions..

1. how tight is too tight for the wing spars to mount into the fuselage?

2. if it is too tight, what do i do to correct the problem?

any help or ideas are appriciated..

Thanks

Ben

Ben,

Mine were very tight too. I used myself and two others to work them in. I very slightly put a taper on the edges that go in first with a file followed by scothbrite. I thoroughly cleaned it and then put some light oil on the spar and center section before first try. Remember to hold the wing up off the fuselage floor and slowly work the wing back and forth until it slips in. From there you'll just have to work it on in keeping the wing off the bottom skin of the fuselage. You want it to be snug, but it should slip on in with gentle back and forth, up and down movements. Fun, fun, fun.....

it is a little tighter than snug. we got it in but i am not sure how tight is too tight..

ben

I have built 2 and helped install a half a dozen others. Eash was very tight. If you got in in your good although you will be taking back out at least once.

Pat

I cut a couple of tapered walnut (hardwood) plugs...

...that we tapped into the spar opening in the fuselage, from the inside. When the spars reached them, they pushed them out,

Best,

Just today installed my wings (for the last time hopefully). Used white lithium grease and by rocking gently up and down was able to slide in without too much trouble. Those close tolerance bolts are the hard part :)

I know this is a very old thread but I thought I'd add some content for people that are researching tight center sections.

My center section was .050" too tight at the top and .017" too tight at the bottom.

I made this little spreader and it work like a charm. It also allowed the center section to be spread in a very precise and controlled manner.

Although I made up two of these (top and bottom) the bottom one was unnecessary.

This is 5/16" all thread with some plastic tubing to protect the burnished holes and a couple of nuts and wide area washers.

Obviously the spreader gets removed before the spar is slid all the way in.

If the photos don't show up just click refresh until they appear.

spreader1.jpg

spreader2.jpg

Back