What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's stress analysis public?

mjanduda

Well Known Member
Hey Builders,

do you know if the stress analysis for Van's RV airplanes is public?
Where can I find them? I'd like to have a look at them :)

Best,
Malte

I doubt it. Multiple legal & proprietary reasons alone would be reason enough to keep this type engineering data out of the the public domain.

Next time you land hard in your RV-14, remember the abuse Van's subjected the design to in this 7m13s YouTube video they shared with the community:

RV-14 Drop Testing

"The RV-14 underwent a tremendous amount of testing and abuse before going out the door!"

Have they stressed the 14 gear for 2050 lbs MTOW?
Or have they added some margin?
Would the gear be a limiting factor when it comes to increasing the mtow because it's only tested for 2050lbs?

Have they stressed the 14 gear for 2050 lbs MTOW?
Or have they added some margin?
Would the gear be a limiting factor when it comes to increasing the mtow because it's only tested for 2050lbs?

The limiting factor to the published gross weight is the entire airplane.

A proper design process uses the design gross weight in designing everything... airplanes aren't designed and then tested, and then a max weight set based on what the weakest was shown to be as a result of the tests done.

There is a complete stress analysis for an RV 7 (if I remember correctly) done by an engineering student in Germany. The analysis is available from the OUV (the German version of the EAA). www.ouv.de

The limiting factor to the published gross weight is the entire airplane.

A proper design process uses the design gross weight in designing everything... airplanes aren't designed and then tested, and then a max weight set based on what the weakest was shown to be as a result of the tests done.

Scott - what was the tire pressure used in the test? (Curious from another thread).

There is a complete stress analysis for an RV 7 (if I remember correctly) done by an engineering student in Germany. The analysis is available from the OUV (the German version of the EAA). www.ouv.de

The University of British Columbia's Aero Design course used an RV-6 as the example aircraft for the class after mine (ours used the Murphy Rebel). I don't know exactly what they did, but we analysed the entire Rebel structure, and played with configuration to see what trade-offs could be made. I don't know how much of that work is available anywhere.

Back