What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NOTIFICATION 18-02-23

Crafting N112DR

Well Known Member
I'm not sure why I'm excited about this after all its just a placard. Perhaps it's the little man in the back if my head telling me that the aircraft I'm building"DOES NOT COMPLY WITH FEDERAL SAFETY REGULATIONS" and somehow that has bothered me, but I was okay with it because that was the price of admission. But now it looks like the little man in my head will have to find something else to be bothered with. What's your take on this? Are you happy, don't care, are you going to go out and have a beer and celebrate the FAA?

NEW PLACARD FOR ELSA

THIS AIRCRAFT WAS MANUFACTURED IN ACCORDANCE WITH
LIGHT-SPORT AIRCRAFT AIRWORTHINESS STANDARDS AND DOES NOT
CONFORM TO STANDARD CATEGORY AIRWORTHINESS REQUIREMENTS
NO INTENTIONAL SPINS

OLD

THIS AIRCRAFT IS AN EXPERIMENTAL LIGHT-SPORT
AIRCRAFT AND DOES NOT COMPLY WlTH FEDERAL SAFETY
REGULATIONS FOR STANDARD AIRCRAFT

Last edited:
Better yet, read the little insert that comes with virtually any medication! This is just a label; it doesn't change the flight characteristics one bit. I do think it "sounds" better. Will we get a copy, or do we have to order one? Have one RV-12 about ready for flight.

Bob

Before you go changing any placards check your operating limits. As I recall the wording of the warning is included. My DAR took pictures of the nameplate and placards, so I?m leaving them alone unless the Feds tell me different.

I think the notification only applies to A/C that have not yet received their airworthiness certificate.

That would affect five that AviationNation is building... Better check with the Mother Ship.

Bob

Affected Aircraft

Guys, it’s pretty clear in the “Affected Models” paragraph of the Notification:

“RV-12 ELSA Aircraft that have not received an airworthiness certificate but have received an RV-12 DOC PACKET shipped prior to November 16, 2017.
No action is required for aircraft that have been inspected by a DAR and received an airworthiness certificate.”

So, if you haven’t received an AWC yet, it’s applicable and vice versa.

Check with your DAR!

Before going too far on this, I would suggest that you contact your inspector.
I, for one, have received nothing from the FAA about a change of "Passenger Warning" placards. I have conferred with several other DARs and none of them have received notice either.

FAA Order 8130.2j states:
(7) Verify the following placard is displayed in the aircraft in full view of all occupants: “PASSENGER WARNING—THIS AIRCRAFT DOES NOT COMPLY WITH FEDERAL SAFETY REGULATIONS FOR STANDARD AIRCRAFT.” This applies to all classes of LSA certificated in experimental purpose for operating LSA.

We are bound by this order.

Last edited:
Mel, have you looked at the mentioned Notification?

You can find it HERE

The problem appears to be that the FAA's placard requirement hasn't met the requirements of the consensus standard, so the FAA is changing their requirement.

The last page of the notification includes an E-mail sent to Van's by Terry Chasteen detailing the amendment to 8130.2J that is in process right now. Their desire is that all certifications going fwd have the new placard (even though 8130.2 hasn't been amended yet) and that the letter would hopefully satisfy the contention issue until that happens. If that isn't the case, I imagine a call to Terry will clear it up.

Mel, have you looked at the mentioned Notification?
You can find it HERE
The problem appears to be that the FAA's placard requirement hasn't met the requirements of the consensus standard, so the FAA is changing their requirement.
The last page of the notification includes an E-mail sent to Van's by Terry Chasteen detailing the amendment to 8130.2J that is in process right now. Their desire is that all certifications going fwd have the new placard (even though 8130.2 hasn't been amended yet) and that the letter would hopefully satisfy the contention issue until that happens. If that isn't the case, I imagine a call to Terry will clear it up.

I understand what you are saying, but until that happens, we are bound by the Order as it stands.

I suggest you call Terry. He seems to think that with instruction from his office, you are not.

Just talked with my PMI. He confirmed that until we receive official notice of some kind, we must follow the Order.
He is checking with Oklahoma City.

Update....

The Notification document posted on Van's web site has been updated to include an e-mail communication (containing contact info) of the FAA Aviation Safety Inspector, AIR-6C3 in Washington D.C. that is involved with the amendment to Order 8130.2J.

updated

The Notification document posted on Van's web site has been updated to include an e-mail communication (containing contact info) of the FAA Aviation Safety Inspector, AIR-6C3 in Washington D.C. that is involved with the amendment to Order 8130.2J.

Has this been updated lately as the link is no longer there?

Has this been updated lately as the link is no longer there?

That link directly to the file became invalid with the change we made when we moved to the new web site, but it has now been fixed to redirect to the correct location and is working. Thanks for pointing it out!

Read the warning labels on household products if you really want a scare!😁

If you want a real scare, read the warning labels on rock climbing gear. Nothing gets your attention like a carabiner with a red warning sticker that says "YOU MAY DIE TODAY."

Fortunately, I don't use carabiners when I climb, only when I fall.

Back