What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jabiru 5100

i did some checking around on this engine yesterday, and it seems to be a nice step in the right direction as far as traditional layout meets modern ignition type engine. i see it only shows 1000 hour tbo. anybody know if a non-wood prop can be used here? or a constant speed?

180 hp and fairly lightweight. it's supposedly nice and smooth and easy on the fuel flow too...

I checked this out about a year ago. They expect the TBO to go up as they can prove it.

The only thing keeping me from chosing this engine for my 9A was the lack of a mount and cowling at the time I needed it. They were working on it, and it may be available now.

I don't know specifically if it can use a wooden prop, but I don't know why it couldn't. Wood seems the most adaptable/forgiving of any material.

CS prop on Jabiru 5100

One of the UK Mk 26 Spitfires is using an electric MT 3-blade CS prop. It involves a limit on the engine's max RPM as the prop is more used to those slow turning Lycomings.

Dave

I made a visit to Caloundra just the other day, and found a 9A with this setup. He will be ready for his first flight in a few weeks ( he hopes for 2 weeks ). A FWF package is now available for the 6 and 9, I dont know about the 7, 8 but that shouldnt be a problem. What I didnt like is that it has 2 carbs, so you need 2 chokes and 2 throttles into the cabin. Wood prop only at this time i think. Will report back with some specs if I get to see the 9A again.

jamie

dicel87 said:
Anyone checked out this engine as an option?
http://www.jabiru.net.au/engines/8cylin.html

Jabiru currently has one installed and flying in an RV-6 and seem to be having good results.

At about 22K (plus another 2K for installation kit) it's up there price wise with the Lycoming models.

Scott

thanks for the report jamie. i'd be more interested in this engine if a metal FP or hydraulic CS prop could be fitted. keep us posted if you see it again.

Why 2 chokes and 2 throttles in the cabin? The dual carbs can use a cable that marries the 2 together before passing through the firewall like the 2200 and 3300 can't they? Those use similar Bing carbs and the installation on those only has one throttle and one choke in the cabin.

WE have one RV8A test-flying in denmark with this engine,the cowl is streched 6-7 inch so it is a longnosed RV ,there have been many troubles with the engine and the support is not the best. talking to the guy about numbers seems to indicate that it is far from my 180 hp Lyc.RV8 about 15mph slower in cruise and using 1.5gal more
the new version should be injected so maybe that is better????

j?rn m?ller
RV8 205 hours

rv8pilot said:
WE have one RV8A test-flying in denmark with this engine,the cowl is streched 6-7 inch so it is a longnosed RV ,there have been many troubles with the engine and the support is not the best. talking to the guy about numbers seems to indicate that it is far from my 180 hp Lyc.RV8 about 15mph slower in cruise and using 1.5gal more
the new version should be injected so maybe that is better????

j?rn m?ller
RV8 205 hours

that's quite interesting...
:rolleyes:

Jabiru....

Hi everybody,
I'm always amazed at the extent to which some builders go to find an "alternative" engine to the Lycs that Van recommends. I found a 2000 hr 160HP Lyc engine for $4500 this morning. That little engine will probably go another 500 hours or more before anything needs to be done to it. With Eggenfellners costing over $23,000 and rotaries up there too, what's the reason for avoiding the Lycomings when they're found all over the world? What's the lure to justify all the extra work/money/fitting of an engine besides the Lycoming? You can go and build your own brand new 180HP Lycoming for way under $20,000 and have a proven engine that you can depend on in rain, night and IFR. I can't see the sense in all these 'other' engines. What am I missing?
Confused,
Pierre

bearair said:
Why 2 chokes and 2 throttles in the cabin? The dual carbs can use a cable that marries the 2 together before passing through the firewall like the 2200 and 3300 can't they? Those use similar Bing carbs and the installation on those only has one throttle and one choke in the cabin.

I dont know why myself, just letting you know how this 9A was setup. He did have 2 throttle cables going into the cabin, and both connected to the one throttle lever, but he did have 2 choke cables/levers.

I live only a few hours from the Jabiru factory myself. I would still like to see an easy way of putting this engine in, but from what the 9A had to go through..ie many exhaust / cowl / mount problems. Im still going to put a lycoming in my 7A.

Here in Australia we dont have many used engines, and to get a new / rebuilt Lyc sent here is in the $30,000 AUD with taxes / frieght etc. shhhhhhhs

I dont want to think about it :(

Jab 5100

HI, I put a post up on the Jab some time ago but can't find it right now. Anyway, I flew the 5100 in their RV-6 a while back, and was quite impressed. My Lyc O-360/FP RV-4 was my immediate comparison, as I flew it up there, got out, then flew the RV-6. It was smooth and simple to operate. The RV-6 performed very similarlyto my -4 and felt like 180 hp to me, though I didn't get hard numbers.

There is nothing wrong with the Lyc engines, apart from the cost to us not in the USA! A Superior SL-360 kit retails for USD$19700, that's AUD$26600 right now. Add freight and 10%GSTax on the total landed cost and its up at AUD$30k. And you still have to put it together. Jabiru have the 5100 advertised for AUD$20k including GST at present. I'd rather a new engine assembled and tested at the factory, with local support, not subject to the vagaries of the exchange rate and freight/customs etc everytime I want a spare or accessory. I don't think comparing a 2nd hand US$4500 engine a to a new one is apple with apples. Yes, the option of a CS prop would be nice, as would inverted fuel and oil etc. I think this will happen, but keeping it simple and making well considered development steps is the way they work, I believe.

pierre smith said:
Hi everybody,
I'm always amazed at the extent to which some builders go to find an "alternative" engine to the Lycs that Van recommends. I found a 2000 hr 160HP Lyc engine for $4500 this morning. That little engine will probably go another 500 hours or more before anything needs to be done to it. With Eggenfellners costing over $23,000 and rotaries up there too, what's the reason for avoiding the Lycomings when they're found all over the world? What's the lure to justify all the extra work/money/fitting of an engine besides the Lycoming? You can go and build your own brand new 180HP Lycoming for way under $20,000 and have a proven engine that you can depend on in rain, night and IFR. I can't see the sense in all these 'other' engines. What am I missing?
Confused,
Pierre

first of all...why not? i don't see what reason not to look for something different. i very well may end up with a lyclone, i've said that plenty of times before, but i'm not ready to buy an engine, so why not explore the options.

second, that $4500 engine WILL cost you $20,000 in the end unless you can overhaul it yourself. if you can, that's a great deal, but i would never install a 2000 hour motor in my brand new RV, that's just me. lycs are gonna get more and more expensive as the number of available engines will drop off eventually. they won't be available world wide forever, especially if AVGAS goes away (actually they will be, cuz nobody will want them, and then they'll be cheap!!)

a brand new eggenfellner firewall forward costs $24k with everything but the prop (that does add $8900 for a total of $32,900, but it's still less than a...). a brand new lycoming IO-360 costs $35,400-engine and bolted on accesories, then you buy the prop at $5600 for a total of $41,000--straight from vans website. new compared to new only. i know there are other options and things to buy for the egg, but that's true for the lyc as well.

where can you get a 'build your own' 180 horse lyc for "way under $20,000"? none of the kits are available yet to build your own. you can buy the kit, but somebody qualified has to build it for you, at least that's the way i understand it at this point. maybe i heard wrong.

the 'other' engines are just a different direction for a different crowd.

btw, they jabiru is alternative to lycoming, but it's still a 'designed for an airplane engine' engine. opposed, direct drive, air cooled. it's not so different...just made down under.

i don't mean this as an argument, but maybe this will help your confusion...
:p :)

I think you did hear wrong :) You can have a sl-360 kit shipped to you and you can build it, but I don't think that is a good idea unless you really know aircraft engines.
By the way I bought a brand new TMX-360 from Mattituck with high comp pistons and LSE plasma II EI, and also paid for shipping and it only cost 21,000. And I just brought my prop for 5800, so I know I will get flamed for all this but I agree with Pierre for 26,800 I have a brand new engine and prop.
Hey everyone has the right to put what ever they want on their bird, but I would really rather fly and get in on burning some of the 100LL that has been going to go away for the last 10yrs and have some fun. I know that 100LL will at some point be replaced with something else, but I bet you I will figure out a way to burn it in a lycosuar.

i totally agree with you kirk. you're right, i heard wrong on the build it yourself engines, but i wouldn't attempt it myself with my low level of experience with engines.

i also completely agree with you on the price of the TMX, but i wasn't taking it into consideration since he was talking about a Lycoming lycoming. brand new, those are WAY up there. TMX, ECi, Superior, Aerosport, and so on are great values, and i will probably go with one of their products, so you'll get no argument from me on your point. :)

i hope when i'm ready for an engine that i don't NEED to consider price, but i probably will, and you can't beat the value of the clone manufacturers. something will replace avgas, no doubt, so that point doesn't hold a lot of wieght IF whatever replaces it works as well as lead powered gas.

i do like looking though. :D

Back