What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EFII System32 in March Kitplanes

rcpaisley

Well Known Member
We have to thank Kitplanes magazine for their excellent write up on our new System32 EFII kits in the March issue. ..The Future is almost here!!

You can read it online or in the print magazine:
http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/

System32 ignition kits are getting very close to shipping.
Full EFII kits will follow.

The System32 ECUs are the quietest running engine management computers I have ever tested (in 30 years of doing this). They include a four layer gold plated circuit board, the latest in processor technology and EMI filtering on all circuits - their performance is truly impressive.

Advanced features that you would expect with modern aviation electronics are in abundance with System32, such as on-board data logging, field upgradable software, map file loading and storing, sun light readable modern display, and a long list of other enhancements.
More details are available at:
http://www.flyefii.com/system-32/

Thanks to all who have expressed their continued support for the advancement of experimental aircraft engine controls.

For more information, please contact us directly:
email: [email protected]

Robert Paisley

Looking Forward

Robert,
I am sure there are a bunch of us looking forward to the day you release information about the upgrade package.
If everything works out, I hope to get my upgrade package while visiting your facility during my travels down to SoCal in mid-April.

The "legacy" system is a blessing compared to the old conventional FI systems. With the ability to trim individual injectors, I am sure I'll improve performance while reducing fuel consumption even further.

Thanks for a great product and fantastic customer support.

EFII moving forward

A great question from one customer:
"What happens if I have the legacy system and I need a replacement ECU?"

Even though the new System32 wire harnesses have evolved and have a number of improvements for ease of installation and safety, the System32 ECUs are plug compatible with the old harnesses. So it is possible to plug a new System32 ECU into an old wire harness and gain the access to the new features provided with System32. This is only true if you have an EFII supplied system that was originally built with an SDS ECU.

System32 ECUs are only compatible with the System32 Cockpit Controller.
There is no compatibility between the legacy electronics and System32 electronics.
In other words, you can't use a System32 Cockpit Controller with an SDS ECU.

Robert

Ethanol

Good morning Mr. Paisley,
dear Robert

i sent you an email via your website last week, but it somehow didn't work out.
I really like the the new possibilities and HMI of the 32.

Please allow me the following questions:

1)Will the EFII 32 system be capable of handling Mogas diluted with up to 5 or 10% Ethanol (EN228 automotive gasoline)?

a) spark timing, mapping, detonation...
b) vaporlock (from dual fuel pump to bosses)
c) resistance of o-rings, gaskets, fuellines, bosses, pumps

If all of this above yes:
2)Will it be approved for this?
3)What would be the required Vapor Index and MOZ/ROZ?

I am aware that there have been many discussions about using avgas, mogas and pumpgas in the past. Most of them seem to be a couple of years old by now, maybe some conditions have changed and new experiences achieved meanwhile.

I am looking for an engine using DIN EN 228 gasoline economically, having a modern ignition and injection management (ECU/FADEC), being adjustable and capable of inverted flight. A 320/360 Lycoming equipped with the 32 seems to be a valid option.
Best regards,

Patrick

EFII flexibility

Hi Patrick,
We are receiving emails from our Contact form. This was implemented recently.
Maybe you were using it in the middle of it coming online - sorry for the lack of comm! You can always email me directly at [email protected].

In short, there is no problem running premium auto gas with or without ethanol with our system. The standard mapping will handle this with compression up to 9:1. If you have higher compression than this, your engine is a hot-rod that wants higher octane fuel (100LL) and will not make full power on a lesser octane fuel. 9:1 compression gives a nice balance of performance vs reliability vs fuel flexibility. If you are ordering an engine, 9:1 is what we recommend for most customers if they want maximum flexibility.

That being said, it is important to know that there are limitations to auto gas. Basically, don't fly it high, and don't use it in hot temps. Auto gas has a much higher vapor pressure than avgas and reaches it's vapor point more easily. Going higher and running in a hotter environment both push you closer to the point where the fuel can hit the vapor point. If you stay below 8000ft and don't use auto gas in temps above 100F, you shouldn't have a problem. If you are going to be flying over high terrain or in Phoenix in the Summer, use 100LL.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your direct and to-the-point reply. Will you be exhibiting on the AERO (GA Expo) in Friedrichshafen in April? If not would it be possible to visit you in California at the ende of the year?

Best regards

Patrick

EFII System32

Hi Patrick,
You are welcome to visit us any time.
Unfortunately, we will not be at your nearby show,
Robert

Back