What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carb Drip Trays

Rick_A

Well Known Member
I built the carb drip trays as specified on Pg 46-08 Rev 3 and installed them per the instructions on page 46-09.

Step 4 on page 46-09 say to put a 1/4" dollop of proseal under the carb bowl, then put some Boelube on the bottom of the bowl where it will "interface with the dollop".

I have at least 1" between the tray and carb bowl. The bowl is never going to "interface" with the dollop of proseal. So why do the plans call for the dollop of proseal?

Has there been a change to the drip tray design? If so, did the old design put the tray within 1/4" of the carb bowl?

BTW. The bottom of the drip trays are now so low that the exhaust retainer flanges barely clear the bottom of the tray. The bottom of the tray has to be deflected up a tiny bit to get the flange in to position. Has any one else encountered this issue?

same question

Same observations here. The drip trays with the dollop don't contact the bottom of the carbs on my build either (12-0760).

I always thought the dollop was for collecting and absorbing any dripping fuel. But then I recall someone else pointed out another reason for it and I can't remember what it was.

Is that inch enough to allow you to drop the float bowls without having to remove the carbs? If so, I need to retrofit those to my plane!

I haven't tried it but it looks like there is enough room to remove to carb bowl. I should give it a try before I mount the engine.

It doesn't look like there is enough room to remove the carb bowl, even with the extra clearance I referred to in my original post.

I did not try to remove the bowl because I was fairly confident that it would not come off with removing the carb from the socket.

Back