Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-10-2017, 09:02 PM

Default Tool purchase to Australia

Hi all,

New to the forum and seriously considering the RV14 as my first build. Have ordered the plans (and looked at all the plans updates on van's site) and it seems doable.

No real metalworking experience, so would like to start with a toolbox or something, but for this i need tools!

Seems there are a few suppliers, but hoping anyone can share their experience of purchasing tools from the US to Australia, and i am tipping shipping is a killer.

Any company better than any other? Any tools to avoid, or any essentials (the DRDT2 seems a must, but a pneumatic squeezer i am not sure about).

Any tips on the most cost efficient method for getting money to the US (don't want to use a credit card), or best shipping method?

Thanks all - as i said, first timer so assume nothing!
Old 08-10-2017, 09:14 PM

Default Tools and costs

Hi,

Firstly, welcome. And you can do it no probs. It is just consistency... Van's plans are top notch. Take your time, ask questions if uncertain and before long, you will have a plane.

OZFOREX is good for large payments. Can reduce the cost of transfer.

Shipping is a killer.... you can't really win there, however SAAA now has access to a shipping service provider...

For the large kit shipments, you cant go past Christine from C&H Shipping.

My opinion, the pneumatic squeezer is a must. Works for the rivets and the dimpling. If you don't want it after build, sell it. But IMHO well worth it. I have the DRDT2 and also think is a must.

Make sure you get enough clecko's.

And if any questions, please drop me a line. I am in Melbourne, aircraft (RV-10) located at Bacchus Marsh.

Regards,
Andrew.
RV10: Happy little Vegemite :-)
Feb 2015: Now fully functional..... and quick

http://www.ozrv10.com
Old 08-10-2017, 09:37 PM

That's great, Andrew.

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping to find someone local who had finished a project and wanted to sell their tools, but i guess people become attached to them at the end! Seems there is almost never any on any of the popular sites.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:42 PM

Default Tools and costs

Hi,

Firstly, welcome. And you can do it no probs. It is just consistency... Van's plans are top notch. Take your time, ask questions if uncertain and before long, you will have a plane.

OZFOREX is good for large payments. Can reduce the cost of transfer.

Shipping is a killer.... you can't really win there, however SAAA now has access to a shipping service provider...

For the large kit shipments, you cant go past Christine from C&H Shipping.

My opinion, the pneumatic squeezer is a must. Works for the rivets and the dimpling. If you don't want it after build, sell it. But IMHO well worth it. I have the DRDT2 and also think is a must.

Make sure you get enough clecko's.

And if any questions, please drop me a line. I am in Melbourne, aircraft (RV-10) located at Bacchus Marsh.

Regards,
Andrew.
RV10: Happy little Vegemite :-)
Feb 2015: Now fully functional..... and quick

http://www.ozrv10.com
Old 08-11-2017, 01:12 AM

I bought tools from :
http://www.cleavelandtool.com/

Shipping was simple enough, nothing that money can't fix.... No matter what you do there will be times when you place an order and then a week later need another small part/tool sent. it helps to have others around you also building to share shiping.

I did damage an flaperon spar during building. Being about 3.5m long the shipping from vans was going to be a few hundred dollars. Someone else was getting a wing kit sent and so the spar went in their box...
Old 08-11-2017, 01:21 AM

I got mine from Cleaveland Tools. They were great to deal with. And they sent it in smaller packages to avoid (minimise) customs excise. Annette was very helpful.

I also got a DRDT2 from them. Only wanted the front end to avoid freight of the steel frame but they sent the whole thing. They forgot I only wanted the front end (and then asked if I wanted to send it back???) so it cost me a little more than I wanted.

There is a builder in Brisbane who wants to sell his tools. His username here is Aussieflyer. Send Alan a PM.
Building an RV-14 - No. 140239
EAA - #1130849
SAAA Chapter 22 - #08129
www.Rv-14A.net
www.facebook.com/iansrv14a
Old 08-11-2017, 04:37 AM

Default Tools for sale

Finished my RV14 build, tools are for sale. Located in Brisbane.
Contact me: - alancarlisle@optusnet.com.au 0403 323 973 for inventory.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:03 AM

Hi Trent, which state are you building your 14? I'm in NSW, Mudgee, just about to put the wings on and do W&B. Don't have tools for sale but recommend at least two pairs of cleco pliers. I have two and are always losing them. These aircraft are great to build and very satisfying as you reach each milestone. There is an Aussie yahoo RV group for local stuff, very rarely used.
Putting it altogether for W&B
Then fuel flow test.
IO 320 D1A