What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spark Plugs -Which Ones do you use

marv1121

Well Known Member
I have a typical Lycoming 0320 of 160 hp in my RV-4. It has one normal Slick magneto and one Electronic Ignition in place of the other mag. The electronic mag fires automotive spark plugs which are DENSO Iridium IK27 I have not had much luck in finding these plugs and was wondering if anyone else uses auto plugs and what brand and exact plug in their airplane. I am sure there must be a more common plug that I can use. Anybody got any suggestions.
[email protected]

NGK

NGK BR8ES solid cap plugs on the bottom for the Elec. Ign.
One mag and one Lightspeed Electronic Ign. with mini sensor

Last edited:
NGK BR8ES solid cap plugs
Same plugs with my P-mag, gapped to .032.

Don't buy the expensive plugs, just replace these every condition inspection. For less than $20 for a set of eight, you can't go wrong.

Note the comment about the solid cap. They make the BR8ES's (and other plugs) with both a screw off cap and a solid cap, non-removable cap. Get the solid cap.

Ask your auto parts person for NGK BR8ES, part number #3961. They should have the solid terminal posts.

I've not had any problem getting IK27s. I have a spare set but haven't needed to replace the originals.

Typing it into an Amazon search returns several suppliers.

Thanks, I never thought about the archives. I know that you get several suppliers whey you Google this but most of them did not actually have the plugs when I contacted them.
Actually my current plugs are running good but all this got started when I pulled just one plug to look at it and then tried to buy just a new gasket to use in re-installing it. Suppliers think you are crazy when you try to get just a gasket. I know that on regular aviation plugs you should always use a new gasket so why not these also. Anyway I never found gaskets at all.
When the time comes, I will probably switch over to the NGK plugs because I think they will be easier to find.

Last edited:
Back