What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Construction and Information video exchange

CubedRoot

Well Known Member
Hey gang! I am starting this thread as a spawn of one that we have been discussing in the classifieds section. Threads only have a 30 day life in Classifieds, so I figured it would be best to start one here and include the information so it wouldn't expire.

The original classifieds thread is here: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=841937#post841937

Mark Dickens posted an offer for some free RV-8 construction videos. There was alot of interested in the videos, myself included. Nihon_Ni came up with pretty good idea of passing the videos on to someone else after they were viewed. There was a decent amount of interest in this "paying it forward" idea, of someone mailing the videos to the next person in line, whom would watch them and then mail to the next person.

Bud Newhouse had a set of tapes as well, and he was kind enough to mail them to me since I missed out on the initial offer.

So, Lets get a thread going to pose as a list of folks wanting to watch the videos. The rules are simple:
  1. You get on the waiting list by posting your interest here in this thread.
  2. Once you receive the videos, you watch them and then mail them on to the next person on the list. It might be a good idea to post in this thread when you do mail them so we can keep up with them.
  3. The videos are meant to be viewed and "payed forward" to the next person.
  4. Please do not make illegal copies of the videos, and please refrain from discussing such illegal activities in this thread. Let's not bother Dave with this sort of stuff.
  5. If you have any videos or other materials you would like to add to the package that might help the next builder, please do so and be sure to mention it in this thread so we can give you thanks!

I don't think all of us borrowing the videos from each other would constitue a copyright violation since we are not making copies of them. I would also imagine that if we can keep this going, we would end up with a really good "library box" that keeps growing with content.

The current "Library Box" inventory includes:
(To be determined shortly)

As of right now the list we have compiled so far includes the following (thanks to RVScooter and mvidalr for getting it organized) :
J Hartline
Nihon_Ni
CubedRoot --- I have a set of videos donated by Bud Newhouse (Joker). I will send them to be added to the others.
Geeman
NavyS3BNFO
junp4way
RVScooter
mvidalr
Staunch111
nekit (looking for 9A videos)
FlyinRhino

Last edited:
RE:Videos

Geeman has a set on the way.

I have forwarded a set donated by Dan McNamara consisting of:

RV8 wing, fuse, empennage 67&8, & fiberglass 101.

I've add RV FINISHING.

Thanks,

Bob

Can these videos be hosted on YouTube? Create a channel for each type of aircraft or maybe build phase?

Please add me to the list of videos pertaining to a 9A.
Thanks,
Rob

Rob, got you on the list :)

Geeman has a set on the way.

I have forwarded a set donated by Dan McNamara consisting of:

RV8 wing, fuse, empennage 67&8, & fiberglass 101.

I've add RV FINISHING.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob, Do you mind sharing whom you forwarded the videos to so I can update the list?

Please add me to the list.

Thanks
Ryan

Ryan, Got you added :)

Can these videos be hosted on YouTube? Create a channel for each type of aircraft or maybe build phase?

eriddler, unfortunately, that would probably violate copywright laws. It would be nice to get the VHS videos over to DVD, but I think that even violates the copywright.

I don't think all of us borrowing the videos from each other would constitue a copyright violation since we are not making copies of them. I would also imagine that if we can keep this going, we would end up with a really good "library box" that keeps growing with content.

I can't really disagree with the above statement, but I suggest you consider the following. Any video you add to the library could (not saying everyone viewing them would have bought them but some might have) be costing the original producer sales. Most of these videos have been produced and sold by small business owners no different than DR (owner/operator of VAF)

I can't really disagree with the above statement, but I suggest you consider the following. Any video you add to the library could (not saying everyone viewing them would have bought them but some might have) be costing the original producer sales. Most of these videos have been produced and sold by small business owners no different than DR (owner/operator of VAF)

I have mixed feelings Scott. I never did use any of the videos, but in the "educational spirit" if I had purchased them, I would have no issues loaning them to a friend. Many where offered to me on loan, I just did not borrow them. Not sure about purposefully setting up a systematic approach to loaning them. I am torn....
I would be curious to see how the guys that produced them feel. I doubt any of them thought they could make serious cash doing it, but I could be wrong. Maybe they just want to recoup their time and effort. They do provide value.
Copying them or posting without permission would be dead wrong.

Status?

Does anyone know where the videos are currently or did the exchange idea get squashed? Just checking...

Back