What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Second hand Empennage

NavyS3BNFO

Well Known Member
Question: Second hand Empennage

I'm thinking about purchasing a second hand RV-8 empennage kit. The kit in question is about 10 years old and hasn't been started.

What are some issues that I need to look out for when purchasing a kit that's almost 10 years old? Corrosion is the big one that comes to mind.

Anything else to be on the look out for? Did Vans make any changes to the empennage kit after 2005?

Thanks

Last edited:
Stored kit

Glenn
Welcome.
I have some experience. I bought one that way. 1/2 price. Great deal. My 7 empennage was stored in a hangar in Austin, TX for a few years before I bought it then stored in my garage for another year or two before I started construction.
Corrosion was limited to a few spots on the edge of blue vinyl and easily buffed out then primed.
Inventory the kit and make a list of missing parts, if any.
At least one Service Bulletin applies so first go to the Vans Support webpage and look up Service Bulletins for the 8. I don't think there are others but it pays to be sure.
Buy the missing parts, Horizontal Stabilizer Service Bulletin kit ($15) and the Plans/Manual CD ($10).
Peel the blue vinyl as you build to be sure all spots are found and treated.
Use the revised plans and manual to build the HS and you're a happy builder.

Just another point of view. The earlier kits had only the skins prepunched so fixtures were needed so to line everything up and drill into the ribs and spar. The later kits had the skins and ribs both punched which required a lot less work and no fixtures. Basically cleco together, match drill, prep/debur, dimple and rivet. Much easier. :)

Larry

Order date

If it helps, my empennage was ordered June 2008. I bought it Sept 2011 and started the build Jan 2013. It's all prepunched. It sat in storage almost 5 years and is now 7 years old.

Was it stored at room temp or exposed to humidity and heat? Removing the blue film may be an issue as well as sheet edge corrosion as mentioned above.

Timing is everything ..... I had a conversation this morning with a gentleman in Floridia on the purchase of an older tail kit for the 8. The kit in question is s/n 80056 and my question is if anyone can tell me if this is a full pre-punch and if so is it different in any meaningful way from current kits. I am currently flying RV 8 s/n 80353 and would like to replace it's current tail that has some cosmetic flaws with a new one and need to understand if this older tail kit could work.

Please note .... if this sounds like this is the same kit that is the origin of this post I will happily defer to the original poster.

Timing is everything ..... I had a conversation this morning with a gentleman in Floridia on the purchase of an older tail kit for the 8. The kit in question is s/n 80056 and my question is if anyone can tell me if this is a full pre-punch and if so is it different in any meaningful way from current kits. I am currently flying RV 8 s/n 80353 and would like to replace it's current tail that has some cosmetic flaws with a new one and need to understand if this older tail kit could work.

Please note .... if this sounds like this is the same kit that is the origin of this post I will happily defer to the original poster.

Either call Vans with the serial #, they can tell you. or ask the seller if the ribs and spars have the holes punched for rivets?

Great advice given. Building a jig and jigging a HS is not a big deal. You will spend more time on layout with the non prepunched ribs and spar but the big work is in hole prep and dimpling regardless. I would not let prepunched vs not influence you if the price is right. You don't see 8 empennage kits show up nearly as much as earlier models. Don't let it get away if saving money is your goal, otherwise, buy new and you will have no concerns.

Back