What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank sealant for elevator and trim

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I have a small tube of tank sealant, but wonder how long it is good after it is mixed? I can set up to do the trim tab wedges, and then the elevators all in a finite period of time to make the sealant do all three jobs, but I wonder if I can mix it and store it in the freezer/refrigerator to spread the timing of the jobs out?

Is 3M 1022 sealant appropriate for this job?

Thanks as always!

I have a small tube of tank sealant, but wonder how long it is good after it is mixed? I can set up to do the trim tab wedges, and then the elevators all in a finite period of time to make the sealant do all three jobs, but I wonder if I can mix it and store it in the freezer/refrigerator to spread the timing of the jobs out?

Is 3M 1022 sealant appropriate for this job?

Thanks as always!
The last number on the sealant is the working life in hours at 75F.
B 1/2 is 30 m in, B2 is 2 hours. Each 10 degrees warmer cuts that number in half. No, you cannot mix, refrigerate and use later. You might extend your working life to maybe double the working time.
Vans sells 1/2 oz kits that are perfect for those jobs. I think they only offer them in the 30 min B 1/2 variety. I would suggest doing elevator as one job, and trim tabs as separate job. Be sure you are satisfied with your bends on the trim tabs. "Friends" have made multiple tries on RV-10 trim tabs before accepting their results. There is a reason Vans lists trim tab kits in their accessory catalog, unlike virtually all other parts you have to find on "The List".

I don't know about the applicability of 3M 1022. Using the materials from Van's I was able to do both of the elevators with one mix, but it was close.

I used the 25 gram kit (Van's calls them 1 oz kits) which only has a working time of 30 minutes. It was just enough to do all eight ribs on both elevators and it took me 30 minutes to do it.

I did the trim tab earlier with another 25 gram kit. There would not be enough material or time to do all of them together with one of these kits. I had never worked with the material before so doing the trim tab was a good test run.

For the tanks I'm just going to buy the bulk materials and measure and mix myself. That material has a two hour working time. 35 grams of that mixed together at one time would do all three sets of elevator ribs (L, R and Trim Tab) at the same time in easy working conditions.

I bought the two 25 gram kits just to practice and understand the material. It worked out well for me. Using my experience you could easily just buy the bulk material and mix as needed. No freezing of mixed material required.

Van's sells the two kits I bought for $9.50 each. The 3.5 oz kit is $17 but still only has 30 minutes of working time.
They sell the quart kits for $39.30 and they say you'll need two for RV-10 sized tanks. My guess is two would do both tanks and all the elevator ribs.

Last edited:
I used 3M 5200 as discusses in page 2 of this thread.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=107196

It is a one part product that the instructions say will harden after opening even with the cap replaced. I used it on the rudder trailing edge and put the unused caped tube in the freezer. Three week later it was still the same consistency and I used it on the left elevator and a test piece. After two days the test piece had a very secure bond. I don't know how long it will last in the freezer, but I figure that as long as it will flow out of the tube it will work.

Back