What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Learning Curve?

NavyS3BNFO

Well Known Member
This question if for all those multiple offenders out there:

How steep was the learning curve from building your first RV to your second (or third or fourth)?

And do I need to seek professional help if I?m already thinking about building a second RV yet haven?t even started on my first (which will be an RV-8 by the way?)?

I realize this is a difficult question to answer given that few people have probably built the same model twice and also that improvements have been made to the kits (pre punched, etc) but I?m really curious to hear people?s answers.

Lastly, when did Van's come out with the prepunched kits?

I know a guy who cut his build time substantial on the second offense.
RV-8A-QB 1200-1500 hr
RV-9A-QB 700-800 hr
(the 9's prepunched kit helped skew the numbers slightly)

This question if for all those multiple offenders out there:

How steep was the learning curve from building your first RV to your second (or third or fourth)?

And do I need to seek professional help if I?m already thinking about building a second RV yet haven?t even started on my first (which will be an RV-8 by the way?)?

I realize this is a difficult question to answer given that few people have probably built the same model twice and also that improvements have been made to the kits (pre punched, etc) but I?m really curious to hear people?s answers.

Lastly, when did Van's come out with the prepunched kits?

Glenn,

Building a RV is more a matter of aptitude than ascending a learning curve. Some people can fix anything, others have a tough time changing a light bulb. Before diving into this world one should attempt to identify where he fits in this scenario.

There was story yesterday, with some geezers for lunch, about a guy who bought a tail kit, went to a class on riveting, etc., and went to work on his project. After several months of numerous screw ups and buying replacement parts, he decided he did not have it to build an airplane. He sold the left over parts and bought a flying airplane.

Not everyone is personally equipped to do an experimental airplane.

AS a (Current) repeat offender, I can tell you that the first build (pre-punched, QB RV-8) has helped tremendously in doing the current project (RV-3B, nothing prepunched or pre-trimmed about it...). Everything on the second build has come much easier - which is good, because the early kits require a great deal more work and THINKING, so not having to learn basic technique is very important. But then again, I have been working on airplanes most of my life, so systems stuff was pretty natural already.

Like David said - if you have the aptitude, you'll do fine, and I'd bet the second is quicker and easier. If you don't have the aptitude, it's gonna be a lot tougher to enjoy that second one.

Paul

Back